Did I mess up or do the right thing?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 21127
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Cool Did I mess up or do the right thing?

I had a 50mm 1.8 mk II that I loved to hate (or hated to love).

I mean, IT COST $90 and was plastic! It takes UNBELIEVABLY sharp pict, but it is FREAKIN PLASTIC (save the glass of course).

I simply could not stand it any longer however and bought the "real" 50mm 1.4. It finally feels like I am shooting with a real lens.

Did I mess up? What are your experiences? I was tired of my camera buddies laughing at me. I have a 20D now and will be upgrading to the 40D when it has been out for a few months (Christmas or so).

Thanks for you answers (I expect them to be entertaining).

Andy

"Don't just talk, say something".
aphotographynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #2
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Did I mess up or do the right thing?

Not used the 1.8 but had the 1.4 for a while. The question is whether the 1.4 is any less of a lens than the 1.8 - if so, then yes you did mess up . If not (much more likely), then you now have that extra half stop to play with and a better built lens into the bargain.

Now if you'd sold a mark1 1.8 for a mark2 1.8, that would be a different thing and - yes you would have messed up .
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

The f/1.4 is an upgrade over both the f/1.8 models in regards to AF. The mechanism in the f/1.8s are both the same, and sloppy. Bottom line, the f/1.4 is a huge upgrade.
Old 08-31-2007   #4
PGX
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 28

The 1.4 is a fantastic lens. Yes, the 1.8 is highly regarded, especially for the money, but you made the right choice.

Now, IMO, a "stupider" move would have been to go from a 1.4 to the 1.0, but not if you really have to be that specialized.

I also love my 1.4 on 1.6x crop cameras. Really a nice portrait lens on those bodies.
Old 08-31-2007   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Constructive Critique?: No

well about that 1.0:

I had the priviledge to shoot with a 50 mm f/1.0 lens, and now I'm hooked: masses of light, very small dof and great bokeh!

I have the 1.8 version and am extremly happy with it, So for me buying a 1.4 would be messing up: the money could better be spent on the (alas now out of production) f/1.0.
Old 08-31-2007   #6
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

You could always contemplate the f/1.2 Rense? I have the 85 f/1.2 mk2 and it is a really lovely lens, and because of that can't justify the 50mm f/1.2 to myself. I keep hearing different things about the 50mm (both good and bad).
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rense View Post
well about that 1.0:

I had the priviledge to shoot with a 50 mm f/1.0 lens, and now I'm hooked: masses of light, very small dof and great bokeh!

I have the 1.8 version and am extremly happy with it, So for me buying a 1.4 would be messing up: the money could better be spent on the (alas now out of production) f/1.0.
The EF50F1.2L is in production, and is a far better lens. On your 5D, either the EF35F1.4L or the EF85F1.2L (I or II) IMHO are nicer options...

...but that's *me* and *my* 0.02...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #8
PGX
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 28

I have used the 50F1.0L quite a few times, and found it frustrating for most applications. Slower focus, heavy. I can certainly see how it has applications for some photographers, but i would much rather put the money elsewhere.

But it's the differences that make this country great.
Old 08-31-2007   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 79
Editing OK?: Ask First

The number for "laughing at plastic lenses support group" is 555 666 9991

Am surprised that they were laughing at you actually, the lens is pretty capable, smaller and lighter than the 1.4 version, and it pretty good where it counts, the results.

I only added the 1.4 version recently, but I find I am looking for things to use it on, looking for excuses. I do use it for sports, basketball and boxing and its superior AF can be a benefit, unfortunately its AF accuracy is not, ironically as good as the humble but slower 1.8 Plastic!!!! Go figure!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acigarnut View Post
Did I mess up? What are your experiences? I was tired of my camera buddies laughing at me.
Andy
Gbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

Quote:
unfortunately its AF accuracy is not, ironically as good as the humble but slower 1.8 Plastic!!!! Go figure!!!
Sounds like you have a bad copy, as this goes against my, and just everyone else's personal experience. You might want to send it in.

jfrancho is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: