14 bit color depth
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 14 bit color depth

Some, if not all, new cameras announced by both Canon and Nikon have 14 bit color depth. From casual reading about it in the net it seems there is no real advantage to it.

Is that correct, if not, why so.

Please keep it simple as not everybody here is a techie

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #2
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: 14 bit color depth

Erm I was talking to someone just yesterday who claimed his prints printed from 16 bit files were the best he has ever acheived . Said he had been testing printing from 16bit files for years trying to get the results he is getting now
The guy was shooting a 1dmkIII .
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
Is that correct, if not, why so.
Hi aam1234,

No it is not correct, the 2 extra bits help you to get smoother colour-transitions:

On your '12 bit' camera you only have 1 Red, 1 Orange and 1 Yellow and you want to shoot a sunset: the setting sun itself will be white, and then surrounding it are three 'layers' , Yellow, Orange and Red, with very distinguishable borders between them (called 'posterization': from WIKI: Posterization of a photographic image being developed occurs when a region of an image with a continuous gradation of tone is replaced with several regions of fewer tones, resulting in an abrupt change from one tone to another. This creates an effect somewhat similar to that of a simple graphic poster. The effect may be created deliberately, or happen accidentally. ).

With '14 bit', you get Dark Red, Red, Light Red, Dark Orange, Orange, Light Orange, Dark Yellow, Yellow and Light Yellow, so a muuuuuch smooooother transition

...hope this is simple enough?? after all, it is only *my* 0.02...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #4
Camel Breath

dc2, the difference between 12 (current cameras) and 16 bits depth is quite significant.
Old 08-30-2007   #5
Camel Breath

Thank you, Max. That's way too simple (which is great).

What you said is the same as what some people are saying, yet another group of people counter with the fact that you won't see a difference in print or screen. In other words, the math is there but it does not translate into results. Is that true.

Did you get your 40D yet, if so, what is your impression about the bit depth.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2007   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
What you said is the same as what some people are saying, yet another group of people counter with the fact that you won't see a difference in print or screen. In other words, the math is there but it does not translate into results.
On screen: no, screen = JPG = 8 bit

But... if you convert 14bit RAW to 16bit TIFF and print from tht...

...it shuld be visible... and is ...compared to a 14bit RAW converted to 8bit JPG and then printed...

Quote:
Did you get your 40D yet, if so, what is your impression about the bit depth.
...no, no 40D yet, but I have a first impression from some 1DMk3 shots I took in RAW: the difference is visible (if processed as above), even on my meager Canon PIXMA A4 printer... the 14bit/16bit TIFF's print with smoother transitions, me is happy ...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #7
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
the 14bit/16bit TIFF's print with smoother transitions, me is happy
That's what matters. Good to know.
Old 08-30-2007   #8
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290

...no, no 40D yet, but I have a first impression from some 1DMk3 shots I took in RAW: the difference is visible (if processed as above), even on my meager Canon PIXMA A4 printer... the 14bit/16bit TIFF's print with smoother transitions, me is happy ...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home[/QUOTE]
Ha Ha you know we are going to talk ourselves into getting the MKIII sooner or later
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 271

12-bit color means the camera can capture 2^12 (4096) individual shades of R G or B and 14-bit means it can capture 2^14 (16384) shades of each color.

Would you notice it? It really depends on the scene.

A jpeg which is 8-bit captures 2^8 (256) shades. That means that you're throwing all those additional shades of color away when you shoot a jpeg. You can never get them back.

tomrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 83

14 bit is no gimmick and as Max wrote, the transitions of tones will be smoother and candy for the eye, but you won't find the benefits with our 8 bit monitors, and other such devices, now if your printer can handle the extra granular graduations the better.

One thing....don't confuse Dynamic Range with bit depth...not the same thing...lots of people make this mistake....

Wedding Hack, 5D's, L primes 14mm through 200, L zooms 16mm through 400.
PavelOlavich is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: