14 bit color depth - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: 14 bit color depth

Hi Pavel, long time no see. Hope everything is well with you.

Were you in Italy again.

" One thing....don't confuse Dynamic Range with bit depth...not the same thing...lots of people make this mistake".

Very true, I used to confuse these two things myself.
Old 08-30-2007   #12
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

From my admittedly fuzzy memory of binary notation, 12 bits is 2^12 (4096) and 14 bits is 2^14 (16,384). If that translates into intensity levels then it should make for a smoother gradation in levels, as Max seems to be indicating from his prints. I should also expect it to give more latitude when making adjustments. Definitely a case of, if you can get it then take it. More bits is usually a good thing.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #13
Llama

CamelKarma: 83
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shields View Post
From my admittedly fuzzy memory of binary notation, 12 bits is 2^12 (4096) and 14 bits is 2^14 (16,384). If that translates into intensity levels then it should make for a smoother gradation in levels, as Max seems to be indicating from his prints. I should also expect it to give more latitude when making adjustments. Definitely a case of, if you can get it then take it. More bits is usually a good thing.

Yes, all correct....also, the bigger bit depth means less "rounding issues when doing post processing manipulations...less combing and the introduction of other digital artifacts....it's all good....bring on 16 bit please!
Old 08-30-2007   #14
Llama

CamelKarma: 83
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
Hi Pavel, long time no see. Hope everything is well with you.

Were you in Italy again.

" One thing....don't confuse Dynamic Range with bit depth...not the same thing...lots of people make this mistake".

Very true, I used to confuse these two things myself.

Been on vacation for a month...road trip USA...took a photographic sabbatical too...makes for an increase in the artistic juices big time....

Wedding Hack, 5D's, L primes 14mm through 200, L zooms 16mm through 400.
PavelOlavich is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: