Preordering the 40d
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2007   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 18
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Preordering the 40d

The LIST price of the 40d is $1299. Why would anyone preorder at that price when the price will drop like a rock as soon as it hits the streets? Sounds like a waste of at least $300 to me.

Old 08-23-2007   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Default Re: Preordering the 40d

Price should drop like a rock when the Nikon D300 hits the streets...

If you always wait on price drops, you will end up waiting on the next one to drop too.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #3
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post

If you always wait on price drops, you will end up waiting on the next one to drop too.
No, I am just going to wait for the first price drop because that will be the big one.
condorman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882

Camera manufactures like manufactures of any real product depend largely on Pre-orders and initial sales to cover a bulk of their R&D costs. Once these costs are satisfied, then they price whatever the market will bear i.e. the Canon 5D. Because up until now it's been the only game in town it basically has been overpriced because Canon can get away with it. In reality the only major difference between the 30D and the 5D was the sensor (lack of flash). The base cost difference between the two sensors is about $360. according to records, certainly not the almost double price of the 5D.
More power to them if they invest in the R&D and benefit from the lack of competition.....but now the "shoe is on the other hand"
Old 08-24-2007   #5
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidebyte View Post
Camera manufactures like manufactures of any real product depend largely on Pre-orders and initial sales to cover a bulk of their R&D costs. Once these costs are satisfied, then they price whatever the market will bear i.e. the Canon 5D. Because up until now it's been the only game in town it basically has been overpriced because Canon can get away with it. In reality the only major difference between the 30D and the 5D was the sensor (lack of flash). The base cost difference between the two sensors is about $360. according to records, certainly not the almost double price of the 5D.
More power to them if they invest in the R&D and benefit from the lack of competition.....but now the "shoe is on the other hand"
It is not Canon that will reduce the price, it is the retailers. Right now there are only a few retailers offering to allow you to pre-order. Once the camera hits the streets and production is up to speed the retailers will be drastically cutting their price. I doubt anyone will be paying $1299 in October.

It is interesting to note that the 20d has a list price of $1499, the 30d has a list price of $1399 and the 40d has a list price of $1299. I like the trend.
Old 08-24-2007   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

You can track that trend even further back, to the 10D, D60, and D30. I believe the D60 was > $2K when it came out.
Old 08-24-2007   #7
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
You can track that trend even further back, to the 10D, D60, and D30. I believe the D60 was > $2K when it came out.
You sure can but that was before my time (with Canon). DSLR sales were up 75% last year. Their popularity is exploding like a bomb, hence lower prices for the consumer.
Old 08-24-2007   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882

Quote:
Originally Posted by condorman11 View Post
It is not Canon that will reduce the price, it is the retailers. Right now there are only a few retailers offering to allow you to pre-order. Once the camera hits the streets and production is up to speed the retailers will be drastically cutting their price. I doubt anyone will be paying $1299 in October.

It is interesting to note that the 20d has a list price of $1499, the 30d has a list price of $1399 and the 40d has a list price of $1299. I like the trend.
True statement but Canon will also get involved if the sales drop off and pressure from their retailers. You don't suppose that the dealers carried the entire load of the 5D when it went from $3,800. to it current level?
Old 08-24-2007   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
Agree.

The D300 is coming out in November, right.
Old 08-24-2007   #10
Alpaca

>You don't suppose that the dealers carried the entire load of the 5D when it went from $3,800. to it current level?

I don't know, I am not interested in a full frame camera so I have not been keeping track of the price. My guess would be that Canon dropped the retailers price since it was way too high to begin with. Amazon shows the list price to bew $4900 and dpreview show it to be $3299. Beside that I am not comparing price drops of the 5d to the 20d, that is apples to oranges. I am comparing price drops of the 20d, 30d and 40d. Both the 20d and the 30d sell well below list price and the 40d should do the same.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: