Preordering the 40d - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2007   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Preordering the 40d

condorman11, since you've been following 20D/30D prices, what do you expect 40D's price will be in a month or two after its introduction, especially after Nikon D300 comes out. Take a wild guess, I bet it's better than mine
Old 08-24-2007   #12
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 18
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
condorman11, since you've been following 20D/30D prices, what do you expect 40D's price will be in a month or two after its introduction, especially after Nikon D300 comes out. Take a wild guess, I bet it's better than mine
It really depend upon whether or not the production numbers are sufficient so that there is essentially an unlimited supply to all the dealers. I expect this to be the case since it is being introduced 3 months before Christmas and this is going to be one of the hottest sellers at Christmas time if the price is right and the availablilty is there. Also the Nikon D300 comes out in November and if that is available in numbers and the 40d is not available in numbers it will really hurt Canon's sales.

My guess is $999. That just sounds so much cheaper than $1020. Right now Amazon sells the 30d for $969 and it has a list of $1399. They sell the Rebel XTI for $631 and that has a list of $799. This means that the 30d is selling for 70% of list and the XTi is selling for 78% of list. The 40d selling at $999 is at 76% of list. The XTi is a higher percentage since it is the best selling camera in the world right now. All prices I am quoting is for the body only.

I personally am not going to pay over $1000 for the 40d. My 20d works just fine I am happy to wait. That extra $300 could buy me a lens.
condorman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No

Thanks.

It will be great if it will be around $1,000 in November-December time frame. I'm thinking of selling my 20D now (have a 5D too) then get a 40D when the price is around what you mentioned.

Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2007   #14
Alpaca

I am hoping the price will be below a grand by the beginning of October. There is 40d is seeing great interest right now. It is at the top of the dpreview.com popularity index with 4% of the hits on it's pages. 7 of the top 10 cameras on the list are Canons. Last year Canon sold more cameras than any other camera maker in the world, with 6 million units shipped. Kodak and Sony both sold 5 million and Nikon sold just 3 million. Canon certainly has the manufacturing mussle to insure that there are plenty of them available for the Chirstmas season.
Old 08-24-2007   #15
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

The sales numbers you quote are digital cameras, and not DSLR's. Wal-Mart sells more stuff than anybody too, but a lot of folks hate them. And Wal-Mart prices aren't always the best, like a lot of Wal-Marters claim.

As for DPR and its "popularity index", it isn't a big deal to me. I have seen Canon have 9 out of 10 on it before. Didn't mean the one they didn't have wasn't the best one on the list anyway. If they plop out some news, the camera makes the list. Also, I don't spend much time there checking them out. We got the forum right here

I wouldn't think the 40D would be below $1000 at "reputable" places in a month. Only way it would is if Canon wants to tempt and flood the market before the D300 hits the streets. If they do that, shows they are scared, in my book.

I think unloading a 20D now is a good idea, especially if is a backup body. The jump form 20D to 40D isn't a huge leap, but there is enough bang in it to make it worth while for some.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #16
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 46

I'm considering, if not a pre-order, a soon-order. Why? I'm moving off of my 30D, and the more the 40D plummets in price, the less I'll get for my 30D on eBay.

After taking that factoid into account, does it still cost me more to upgrade earlier? You bet it does--but not nearly the premium you probably have in mind. (The better question is: why am I upgrading from my 30D? Well, last I checked it has a 100k shot shutter, and I'm at about 80k. 20k shots will last the average eBay shopper a lifetime, but for me...not so much. Everybody wins.)
severoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #17
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
I wouldn't think the 40D would be below $1000 at "reputable" places in a month. Only way it would is if Canon wants to tempt and flood the market before the D300 hits the streets. If they do that, shows they are scared in my book.
Well the 40d has been released and I saw on another forum that one guy bought one in Hong Kong at the street price of $1100. He posted a bunch of photos and the low light performance looks positively superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severoon View Post
...and the more the 40D plummets in price, the less I'll get for my 30D on eBay.
I doubt it. The Rebel XT is still selling at a decent price even though the XTi has been out for a year. The 30d is proven and the 40d is not proven. This will keep the used market for 30ds hot for quite a while.

Last edited by Mr. Pickles; 08-26-2007 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: added quote tagging

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: