ot: fuller frame Nikon - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2007   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: ot: fuller frame Nikon

Exactly.

Regardless of the numbers, there is very little difference between a Canon DSLR and a completive Olympus or Pentax DSLR. And as shocking as it is, the piss poor market share performers are better in several ways. Need one example? Nobody has equaled the dust-buster that Olympus debuted years and years ago on the E-1. Some will say that isn't a real need. No? Seems everybody is getting one know.

As for dominant meanings...
define - Google Search

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #12
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 132

Sheeze Pickles... I was afraid that this might bring out some flames...not from thou tho. If nothing else "competition" amongst manufacturing companies translates to better products at better prices for us all.

I think we all agree that brands, specs. and marketing does not make photographs...but; er, uh... they do make for some good arguments on the interweb, I guess...

Sure, I wish I could afford everything from a digital medium format p45+ to an old S2... a Mark III looks incredible and so does some of the work being produced by rebel xti's and d40s...heck, i'll take two of each and a case of fuji disposable pano cameras (my personal favorite)

Who cares... if your really "into" photography...a box with a hole in it will do the trick...
jazzology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #13
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

I can't say I've ever heard of the "interweb" before this...
Old 08-23-2007   #14
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzology View Post
Sheeze Pickles... I was afraid that this might bring out some flames...not from thou tho. ... they do make for some good arguments on the interweb, I guess...
Who is flaming? I think the new Nikons give Canon an awesome run for the money. I don't think Canon is nearly as mighty as Canonites do. I said Canon is a fine camera company. Said Nikon was too. So what up?

yes, competition is good. In this round, so far, it looks like Canon got knocked to the canvas. They didn't get TKO'd though. And Sony isn't done. Pentax might be working on something, so they aren't done. Neither is Olympus. Speaking of the later, everybody laughed when they debuted Live View and an dust-deduction system.

All of them are good, and I have been a proponent for pushing our "brand boards" down the list on the main page, so PhotoCamel can be known more for actual images taken with ANY camera.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #15
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
I don't think Canon is nearly as mighty as Canonites do. I said Canon is a fine camera company. Said Nikon was too. So what up?
I wish Fuji would come out with a EOS mount like they use the Nikon body/mounts. I'd switch bodies in a heartbeat if I didn't have to start over with all my lenses. Same, possibly, with Sigma's new SD14, although I haven't seen any in-depth reviews on that compared to the S5.
Old 08-23-2007   #16
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 344
Default Well it looks like right now, Nikon took over (for now):

Quote:
In the not very distant past, Nikon lagged considerably behind Canon in DSLR sales. That was then, this is now: Thanks in large part to the huge success of their D40 and D40x models, Nikon has actually catapulted ahead, and now enjoys a slight lead over Canon in unit sales. The graph above shows numbers for the Japanese market, but numbers I've seen recently for the US market tell much the same story. (Nikon is slightly ahead in numbers, Canon is slightly ahead in total dollar volume in the US market.)
NEWS! - Nikon rocks the DSLR world - Again

But the important thing is of course, what does it matter with my photography? Nothing really, but everyone is having a fit. Olympus guys had it in some forums when the 40D came out, and now it seems it's Canon's turn.

Photocamel seems far far sane-ier compared to .. um some other place I know though

- Raist

PS: Oh yeah, I shoot with an Olympus e-410
Old 08-30-2007   #17
Llama

CamelKarma: 83

Quote:
Sounds like your a bigger jerk now.
You say it like it's a bad thing....being a jerk is really not that bad....try it sometime.
Old 08-30-2007   #18
Llama

Quote:
Exactly.

Regardless of the numbers, there is very little difference between a Canon DSLR and a completive Olympus or Pentax DSLR. And as shocking as it is, the piss poor market share performers are better in several ways. Need one example? Nobody has equaled the dust-buster that Olympus debuted years and years ago on the E-1. Some will say that isn't a real need. No? Seems everybody is getting one know.

As for dominant meanings...
define - Google Search
Oly's give great anti-dust performance. Nikon provides great, if not the best ergonomics. NIETHER one does anything for image quality. Zero. If we're to brag about cameras, lets brag about their image quality, yea?

And it is only after the release of the D300 & D3 that I can finally say that Nikon makes great cameras (image quality wise)...before these two gems, they produced rubbish IMHO....
Old 08-30-2007   #19
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

Hmm. I use a 5D (+ some nice L primes) and also an Olympus E-1. The Oly is superior to the 5D in some important areas, though admittedly the 5D beats it into the ground for resolution. The soon to be released E-3 will fix the current limitations.

I'm not into camera bashing, or bragging, but I always find it amusing when the 5D is seen as some sort of pinnacle when it has - for example - not so great ergonomics, the usual limitations with using some old lens designs on a digital FF body, dust in every nook and cranny, a clackety clack shutter, etc. The Oly E-1 is much better in those areas, and I'm sure will improve a lot in terms of resolution in the new model.

Anyway, as I say - I don't want to bash cameras, but I disagree a lot with your statement that Oly (and Nikon) do nothing for image quality. That is to me a clearly silly statement.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #20
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shields View Post
Hmm. I use a 5D (+ some nice L primes) and also an Olympus E-1. The Oly is superior to the 5D in some important areas, though admittedly the 5D beats it into the ground for resolution. The soon to be released E-3 will fix the current limitations.

I'm not into camera bashing, or bragging, but I always find it amusing when the 5D is seen as some sort of pinnacle when it has - for example - not so great ergonomics, the usual limitations with using some old lens designs on a digital FF body, dust in every nook and cranny, a clackety clack shutter, etc. The Oly E-1 is much better in those areas, and I'm sure will improve a lot in terms of resolution in the new model.

Anyway, as I say - I don't want to bash cameras, but I disagree a lot with your statement that Oly (and Nikon) do nothing for image quality. That is to me a clearly silly statement.
You hammered on the 5D's short comings; all of which have nothing to do with image quality. Then you praise the Oly for features that have nothing to do with image quality.

I would very much love it if we praise/bash cameras based soley on their prime directive: Image Quality And if you do that, then the 5D is one bad A$$ camera,the best of any brand and model, save for the just recently released Nikon's and the 1DS Mark III.

And lets be object here, before the D300 & D3, Nikon had no remarkable or outstanding DSLR. Not one. But last week changed that, didn't it!

Wedding Hack, 5D's, L primes 14mm through 200, L zooms 16mm through 400.
PavelOlavich is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: