Who in their right mind, would be the first to buy a 40D or 1DSMIII?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

View Poll Results: How does the Mark III situation effect future camera investment?
I'll wait until the guinea pigs shake them out before I buy a 40D or 1DsMII 18 36.73%
I'd wait before I buy any new DSLR, regardless of brand. 15 30.61%
I like living on the edge. I want to be the first to own one regardless of the Mark III. 18 36.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1054
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Who in their right mind, would be the first to buy a 40D or 1DSMIII?

After all that's been written about the Mark III, why would you jump on the 40D or 1DSMIII bandwagon without seeing real world results from those that like the bleeding edge. AND does what's happened with Canon make you think the same about other brands?

Currently in the third year of a 30 year photography course. Just passed "Remembering to insert battery"
Next class "Don't leave your memory card at home."
brice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 18
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Who in their right mind, would be the first to buy a 40D or 1DSMIII?

The 40d is suppose to come out on September 20th. I only get paid once a month so I will have to wait until October 1st to buy the 40d. I don't see any problem with being one of the first ones to buy the camera. I have been an early adaptor all my life and I am not going to change now because there was a small focusing problem with a few of the first Mark IIIs. I currently using a 20d and I didn't upgrade to the 30d because there was no compelling reason. There are dozens of reasons why I want to upgrade to the 40d. The main one being 6.5 frames per second with a total of 17 RAW shots without a hiccup. I mainly shoot birds and the 5 fps is the mail reason I got the 20d. I am salivating over 6.5. I have read a lot about the Mark III and 95% has been positive. I assume the 5% negative was written by jealous Nikon users.
condorman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #3
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 1072357
Default Re: Who in their right mind, would be the first to buy a 40D or 1DSMIII?

I am not a jealous Nikon owner but a 1DMK111 owner. After this experience, would wait till the new model has proven itself. A very frustrating experience to move from a reliable camera bodies canon 20D, 5D. The ten frames per second really caught my attention from the 1DMK111. I have enjoyed the other features of this camera, live view, dual card write, a great viewfinder, easy to learn controls. Very frustrated with the autofocus, and I am not sure that my expectations were to high?. This is my first D series body. Is this camera better in low light then my previous ones you bet it is. Has my keeper rate gone up for shooting sports?? Will shoot football this year for the first time on friday. Same conditions as shooting with the 20D 5D. Lets see if the camera lives up to my expectations.. ......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 169A9601 copy.jpg (125.7 KB, 315 views)
Old 08-21-2007   #4
Alpaca

So what lens or lens are you using when the problem happens? And what exactly is the problem?
Old 08-21-2007   #5
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by condorman11 View Post
So what lens or lens are you using when the problem happens? And what exactly is the problem?
That's a subject of another thread.... Already speculated on many times. Please keep discussion here to the topic posted here. I can help you find many posts about Canon Mark III autofocus issues if you like.

Currently in the third year of a 30 year photography course. Just passed "Remembering to insert battery"
Old 08-21-2007   #6
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

It's not just Canon who have 'teething trouble' when new kit comes out, but regardless I think it's always wise to hold off a little bit when something brand new is launched. Unless you're really struggling with what you have now then I don't see why anyone would buy something blind.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brice View Post
After all that's been written about the Mark III, why would you jump on the 40D or 1DSMIII bandwagon without seeing real world results from those that like the bleeding edge. AND does what's happened with Canon make you think the same about other brands?
...I have a 40D + BG-E2n on order...

...how else can anyone show someone real world results ??

...so: if someone has to be the first, then it better be me (as I need the weathersealing in early October, so that gives me approx a week or two-three to pull the 40D apart in testing )

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 454

After what happened with the Mark III's focus issues, I'd wait before buying any new camera. If the cameras prove to be good, though, it's tough not wanting to upgrade.

See this:

http://www.photocamel.com/forum/phot...off-train.html
JimAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #9
Alpaca

>That's a subject of another thread.... Already speculated on many times. Please keep discussion here to the topic posted here. I can help you find many posts about Canon Mark III autofocus issues if you like.

Boy that is the rudest post I have ever read. I have looked all over here and I can't find any rules about keeping the discussion to the topic posted here. And I thought this was the "Friendly Photo Community".

My questions were about the topic posted here. Leehman and I were discussing the focusing problems he was having with his Mark III. The thread is about the Mark III and it's problems. I was just looking for some clarification about his problems.

There are many other threads here that go way off topic. I don't see you jumping in and complaining in those threads.

I have been using a computer for over 30 years. It takes the intelligence of a first grader to preform a search. Thank you very much for offering to help me search for other threads about auto focus issues. That was really generous of you. However I am not interested in other threads about auto focus issues, I was interested in Leehmans auto focus problems.
Old 08-22-2007   #10
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by condorman11 View Post
>
Boy that is the rudest post I have ever read. I have looked all over here and I can't find any rules about keeping the discussion to the topic posted here. And I thought this was the "Friendly Photo Community".

My questions were about the topic posted here. Leehman and I were discussing the focusing problems he was having with his Mark III. The thread is about the Mark III and it's problems. I was just looking for some clarification about his problems.

There are many other threads here that go way off topic. I don't see you jumping in and complaining in those threads.

I have been using a computer for over 30 years. It takes the intelligence of a first grader to preform a search. Thank you very much for offering to help me search for other threads about auto focus issues. That was really generous of you. However I am not interested in other threads about auto focus issues, I was interested in Leehmans auto focus problems.
I wasn't rude, I was net. I'm sorry to hurt your feelings.

Let me try again. Please discuss Mark III focus issues elsewhere. The intent of this topic is who about "why you would jump on the 40D or 1DSMIII bandwagon without seeing real world results from those that like the bleeding edge, given the history of the Mark III." I also wanted opinion about whether what's happened with Canon and the Mark III make you think the same about other brands?

All I asked, since I started the thread, was that discussion of the issues with the Mark III, real or fictional, be held in other threads.

Of course you are free to discuss anything you want, but let's try to remain on topic here.

Frankly, and there's nothing rude about this, I've seen enough Mark III bashing and issues speculation and I wanted to look at this from a different perspective. It's a simple as that.

I don't go try to "police" threads that I didn't start and keep them on topic. If I go off topic in a thread someone else started and I'm asked to get back OT, I comply or take it to PM.

This thread, which I started, is NOT about the MARK III and it's problems. It's about other's response to its problems and how it effects decision making about investing in new technology in the future.

If you and Lehman want to discuss his autofocus problems, which is NOT the intent of this thread, I simply suggested in a net way, that you take it elsewhere. First graders also over react and throw tantrums instead of seek clarification and reach mutual understanding. I politely offered to help you find a better place for your discussion.

Feel free to carry on here. This is a friendly forum and I cant stop anyone from going off topic, but I reserve the right to ask you not to, especially if I start a thread. Personally, I think your response was immature, but that's a subject of a different thread.

Those of you that have responded and voted, I find it interesting that the vast majority would wait, regardless of vendor. Makes me happy I decided not to wait while the Mark III was merely speculation and go ahead with my purchase. Turns out the wait wouldn't have been 2-3 month for the Mark III to GA, but 9-12 months for bugs to be worked out.

Thanks for participating.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: