Who in their right mind, would be the first to buy a 40D or 1DSMIII? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

View Poll Results: How does the Mark III situation effect future camera investment?
I'll wait until the guinea pigs shake them out before I buy a 40D or 1DsMII 18 36.73%
I'd wait before I buy any new DSLR, regardless of brand. 15 30.61%
I like living on the edge. I want to be the first to own one regardless of the Mark III. 18 36.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007   #21
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 48
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Who in their right mind, would be the first to buy a 40D or 1DSMIII?

Why would anyone want to be among the first to buy a new camera model?

Some hope to gains some sort of status. others take great pride in ownership. Some people just HAVE to own the latest of everything. When the Next Big Thing comes out, the old camera is put on the shelf or sold. That's why you can pick up 30D's on the used market with low mileage.

A lot of people are camera owners, not photographers (like "guitarists"). That's a good thing, actually, because the frequent-purchase camera owners are the ones who keep the manufacturers' sales volume up from model to model. Serious photographers usually won't make impulse purchases because they weigh the pros and cons of the purchase. Those who make their living from photography USUALLY use their equipment until it is no longer practical to continue with their old equipment. (That's not to say that pros aren't prone to camera lust).

Frequent "upgrade" purchases should be encouraged because it keeps the price down. The going price for the 40D is about $200.00 less than the going price for the 10D four years ago or so. Another thing that's good about people making quick upgrades as soon as the newest camera comes out is that they're the ones who will find the bugs first. They should be commended for their bravery and their service to the image-making community. I don't think I'd like to be surprised on a paid shoot.

So please, everyone, be supportive of these trailblazers who make life so much easier for the rest of us dull-witted and unadventurous souls.

And if anyone needs to finance his upcoming 40D purchase by selling a low mileage 30D in pristine condition (preferably still in the box) for about $500.00, send me a Private Message.
Bloo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #22
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 13
Default Re: Who in their right mind, would be the first to buy a 40D or 1DSMIII?

I always give the "new" camera model about 4 months to get the major kinks worked out. There are very few real "Duds" that stay in the lineup very long.
Old 09-08-2007   #23
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Bought one straight away and love it....... No only joking.... I would though if I did not already have a 30D and a 1DMarkIII

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: