Who in their right mind, would be the first to buy a 40D or 1DSMIII? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

View Poll Results: How does the Mark III situation effect future camera investment?
I'll wait until the guinea pigs shake them out before I buy a 40D or 1DsMII 18 36.73%
I'd wait before I buy any new DSLR, regardless of brand. 15 30.61%
I like living on the edge. I want to be the first to own one regardless of the Mark III. 18 36.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 1483
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Who in their right mind, would be the first to buy a 40D or 1DSMIII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brice View Post
I wasn't rude.
I quite agree ... asking one to stay on the OP topic is hardly rude. It doesn't matter that someone wants to talk about something else or couldn't find it elsewhere ... maybe starting a new thread on the desired topic would help ... but your response was hardly rude let alone "THE RUDEST EVER". I don't want a rehash of the 1DMIIIs problems yet again when they have been beaten to death elsewhere!

More to the point, I have two 1DMIIIs in this year's budget (money's in the bank) but I am holding off due to the focus issues that I don't think are properly resolved or explained. I also have a 1DsMIII in my budget now although it will not be banked until Nov/Dec time period. I have 1DMII and 1DMIIN and don't want to pop $4500 for new bodies that don't perform as well as what I am used to ... it seems almost bizarre that this issues haven't been fixed. The problems are well known and easily repeated and Canon has not really stepped up to the plate. I will hang onto my money until I feel sure that the issues are resolved.
dwightmccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #12
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1054
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Who in their right mind, would be the first to buy a 40D or 1DSMIII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightmccann View Post
I quite agree ... asking one to stay on the OP topic is hardly rude. It doesn't matter that someone wants to talk about something else or couldn't find it elsewhere ... maybe starting a new thread on the desired topic would help ... but your response was hardly rude let alone "THE RUDEST EVER". I don't want a rehash of the 1DMIIIs problems yet again when they have been beaten to death elsewhere!

More to the point, I have two 1DMIIIs in this year's budget (money's in the bank) but I am holding off due to the focus issues that I don't think are properly resolved or explained. I also have a 1DsMIII in my budget now although it will not be banked until Nov/Dec time period. I have 1DMII and 1DMIIN and don't want to pop $4500 for new bodies that don't perform as well as what I am used to ... it seems almost bizarre that this issues haven't been fixed. The problems are well known and easily repeated and Canon has not really stepped up to the plate. I will hang onto my money until I feel sure that the issues are resolved.
Well said... I mean the part about not being rude No! the other part. Just seems like a wise decision. I find myself tempted by technology and I often wonder if I really NEED it as opposed to just WANT it. The good thing about this situation is that it makes me make sure I NEED it.

Thanks for your input.

Currently in the third year of a 30 year photography course. Just passed "Remembering to insert battery"
Next class "Don't leave your memory card at home."
brice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #13
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
After all that's been written about the Mark III, why would you jump on the 40D or 1DSMIII bandwagon without seeing real world results from those that like the bleeding edge. AND does what's happened with Canon make you think the same about other brands?
Personally I try not to be tempted to buy anything that new that I have not heard anything about real world results but I would apply this thinking to all brands not just Canon .
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #14
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No

I'm with dc2, not because of the 1DIII but because the problems I had with the first model of a car I bought. Now that's one expensive lesson.

For a camera, waiting few weeks will be enough (while keeping an eye on DPR )
Old 08-23-2007   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

With a camera as expensive as the 1DS Mark III, I would not be among the first buyers. That's too much money to throw around in hopes that the first ones off the assembly line won't have issues that you'd rather live without.

With a cheaper camera, yeah, you can take the chance. Not sure why you'd want to, though.

My feeling is that six months to a year after release is a good time to fork over your cash.
Old 08-24-2007   #16
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

Now the Nikon D3 is (almost) out I'd be a bit torn if I were looking at investing in Canon or Nikon. I'm impressed with where Nikon seem to be going, though I don't expect a true 1Ds mk3 rival any year soon. Maybe the tortoise is going to catch the hare ? .
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #17
PGX
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 28
Editing OK?: Ask first

The 1DsMk3 is attractive to me for the features that it offers, specifically the RAW/sRAW. If the FPS would speed up for sRAW it would be really hot.

I have purchased many Canons that were said to have "serious focus issues" and have yet to have had any. Someone I used to shoot with gets three of every new 1series body (including the 1DMk3) and has only sent back one (a 1DMk2) for focus, and they had it back to him pretty quickly and the problem was gone.

Will I buy one of these? Actually, I am looking at it. I held off on replacing a lost 1DsMk2 to see what Canon would throw out there. But, now I am so attached to my 1DMk2 that I use it constantly. With the price reduction that is going on in MF digital, I might go that route, but I might also go with a Nikon D3 if the specs are right. Meaning essentially a D2x with two modes 16MP/8MP that doesn't change the crop factor but gives us great speed at lower MP, and I am also hoping the larger chip size helps them catch up on the noise issue...
Old 08-24-2007   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2230

I was hoping to buy a 30D this year but now that the 40D is out I will buy it if I can come up with the money. Most of the time when something new comes out a percentage will have problems but they are usually fixed pretty quickly. Even after a product has been in production for a while there will still be a small percentage with problems and usually those problems are fixed under warranty. A hassle maybe but the manufacturer usually takes care of their problems.

If I had the money I would preorder a 40D but realistically by the time I come up with the money the bugs should have all been worked out so for me it is really a non-issue.
Sparky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007   #19
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: No

I have a 40D and BG-E2n on pre-order at Hunt's. I was in the store at 9:30 last Monday morning to get my order in. There wasn't even a list at that time in my branch store or at the main store. I will call tomorrow to make sure I am at the top of the official list.

The 40D is being sold in Hong Kong right now.

This will tide me over until the issues with the 1D-MKIII are resolved. I will have to sell a Kidney or rob a bank to get the money for a 1Ds-MKIII, but I do want one!

Malodave
malodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007   #20
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
I wasn't rude, I was net. I'm sorry to hurt your feelings.

Let me try again. Please discuss Mark III focus issues elsewhere. The intent of this topic is who about "why you would jump on the 40D or 1DSMIII bandwagon without seeing real world results from those that like the bleeding edge, given the history of the Mark III." I also wanted opinion about whether what's happened with Canon and the Mark III make you think the same about other brands?

All I asked, since I started the thread, was that discussion of the issues with the Mark III, real or fictional, be held in other threads.

Of course you are free to discuss anything you want, but let's try to remain on topic here.

Frankly, and there's nothing rude about this, I've seen enough Mark III bashing and issues speculation and I wanted to look at this from a different perspective. It's a simple as that.

I don't go try to "police" threads that I didn't start and keep them on topic. If I go off topic in a thread someone else started and I'm asked to get back OT, I comply or take it to PM.

This thread, which I started, is NOT about the MARK III and it's problems. It's about other's response to its problems and how it effects decision making about investing in new technology in the future.

If you and Lehman want to discuss his autofocus problems, which is NOT the intent of this thread, I simply suggested in a net way, that you take it elsewhere. First graders also over react and throw tantrums instead of seek clarification and reach mutual understanding. I politely offered to help you find a better place for your discussion.

Feel free to carry on here. This is a friendly forum and I cant stop anyone from going off topic, but I reserve the right to ask you not to, especially if I start a thread. Personally, I think your response was immature, but that's a subject of a different thread.

Those of you that have responded and voted, I find it interesting that the vast majority would wait, regardless of vendor. Makes me happy I decided not to wait while the Mark III was merely speculation and go ahead with my purchase. Turns out the wait wouldn't have been 2-3 month for the Mark III to GA, but 9-12 months for bugs to be worked out.

Thanks for participating.
I am very satisfied with my 2 year old 5D for my amateur photography needs (portraits, events, travel, landscape). However I picked up a 40D last week (Aug. 31st), as a back up body. It will also be nice to shoot with a wide lens mounted on my 5D and a long lens mounted on the 40D, avoiding the need to switch lenses in the field. So far I am completely satisfied with decision.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: