How will you deal with 22 megapixels?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2007   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default How will you deal with 22 megapixels?

I mean, what kind of computing power will it take to handle a 22 megapixel file with reasonable performance? And how much storage space will these 22-mpix files eat up?

JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: How will you deal with 22 megapixels?

Aren't PSD and TIFF files bigger than that. Also, the average Raw file of my 5D, which is 12.7MP, is about 8-9 MBs.
Old 08-19-2007   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
Aren't PSD and TIFF files bigger than that. Also, the average Raw file of my 5D, which is 12.7MP, is about 8-9 MBs.
Yes, they are bigger than that but derived from smaller files. Those of us working in RAW then converting to PSD and exporting to JPG later will see bigger file sizes.

I don't think it's going to be too bad. I'm curious how much the file size increases going to higher color depth (14-bit now?), though.
Old 08-19-2007   #4
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
I mean, what kind of computing power will it take to handle a 22 megapixel file with reasonable performance? And how much storage space will these 22-mpix files eat up?
I wont be looking for 22mp for a long while yet in fact be happy to lose a few MP for higher quality [less noise /better dr]
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #5
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 240

I'm actually looking forward to the sRAW capability of the 40D. I can still shoot RAW, yet retain the space and working speed I am used to.
MagicNikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007   #6
I'm around sometimes

CamelKarma: 86064

it actually isn't that bad. Just take a 20d/30d/5d file and extrapolate it to 22mp in Raw and work around with it. Works just as well

And yes I know the quality isn't the same, just saying most computers will handle a full res 22mp file just fine.
Old 08-21-2007   #7
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentchau View Post
it actually isn't that bad. Just take a 20d/30d/5d file and extrapolate it to 22mp in Raw and work around with it. Works just as well

And yes I know the quality isn't the same, just saying most computers will handle a full res 22mp file just fine.
Agreed working with them won.t be to bad but storing them ?
It will eat storage space pretty quick .
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 18

They won't eat up my storage space since I have a rather unique workflow. I shoot 100 to 200 shots per day. I load them into Lightroom at night and look at the days shoot and pick the very best ones and add them to my Quick Collection. At the end of the month I usually have about 100 shots in my quick collection. I go through the Quick Collection and delete about half of them. Then I process the remaining 50 or so shots in the Develope module (Photoshop them, for those of you who don't do Lightroom) and export them as 1440 x 900 jpegs. Then I look at the finished photos in a full screen slide show and delete all but 30 shots. Then I find the original RAW files for each of the 30 shots I am keeping and save the RAW files along with the jpegs. This ends up to be about 200 megs of photos I keep per month. The other 3000 to 5000 gets deleted. Then I upload them to Picasa. Here is a link to my shots from last month:

Picasa Web Albums - Tom Seiler - July 2007

In other words I only keep one shot per day. It is brutal but I like the results. I find I don't need to keep every shot I take.
condorman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #9
I'm around sometimes

CamelKarma: 86064

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2 View Post
Agreed working with them won.t be to bad but storing them ?
It will eat storage space pretty quick .

I archive Raw files on dvd, and keep jpgs on the pc. Yeah at 11meg a jpg it will get filled up quick but I find that raw files tend to be the beast. At $80 for 500 gig, photographers who spend $8000 for a camera should probably be best not to worry about buying hard drives

Sadly I need to buy one soon, just filled all my drives.....with jpgs
Old 08-21-2007   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 454

I have 2 terabytes of storage, and it's not enough. For each meg of storage you need, you need another meg as backup.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: