I have lenses!!!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2005   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 80
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default I have lenses!!!

I don't yet have my camera, but I ordered the 70-200 4, the 17-40, and the 50 1.8 on the 15th (from onecall.com) and just got them! Yay. Sorry, had to share.

Sara

ellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: I have lenses!!!

I know that feeling. Great lenses but no camera.

Old 10-18-2005   #3
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellette
I don't yet have my camera, but I ordered the 70-200 4, the 17-40, and the 50 1.8 on the 15th (from onecall.com) and just got them!* Yay.* Sorry, had to share.* *

Sara
Don't apologize know what its like babe
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #4
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerman
Can you just hold them up to your eye - kind of like a pirate?!*

Your kids might like that............
Oooh, and I do a fairly good "Arrrgh" and "ahoy matey" too if I do say so myself!

Sara
Old 10-18-2005   #5
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2

Don't apologize know what its like babe
Thank you. See, I called my parents and they weren't terribly excited...lenses eh, that's nice, right? I'm bouncing off the wall because I'm just that much closer to my goal and Elaine's in Alaska and I won't see my best friend till Sunday so I don't really have anyone right NOW to share with. My husband will be interested, but if he ever turned photographer he'd be the pixel peeping tech freak type photographer, he likes the technology aspect of what I am doing and getting, but otherwise doesn't care (well, he does work for IBM, what can one expect I guess eh?).

Sara
Old 10-18-2005   #6
PJW
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 14

You can also hold one in front of a piece of paper and focus the image. And if you had three hands you could zoom!

Hope you get a camera soon!
Old 10-18-2005   #7
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290

Think I need to nip across the pond and help you unpack . er er your lenses
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

You can look through them backwards and use them as a magnifying glass till the body gets here

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes
Default ...then you need a Body !! ;-)) M@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellette
I don't yet have my camera, but I ordered the 70-200 4, the 17-40, and the 50 1.8 on the 15th (from onecall.com) and just got them! Yay. Sorry, had to share.

Sara
Congratulations, and welcome in 'DSLR-land' )

so you went for the 'quality kit at-a-bargain' )) (OK, it's all relative!)

Good choice, IMHO, very portable kit, and one that can give you great quality pics, and if you ever decide to upgrade, all these lenses will have good resale-value, too!

Did you order the 20D or 350D body to go with this glass, UV/Protect Filters to protect them? Flashunit?

Again, my congratulations, I wish you many happy years shooting these!

Kindest regards,

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005   #10
Dromedary

Default Re: ...then you need a Body !! ;-)) M@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home

Congratulations, and welcome in 'DSLR-land' )

so you went for the 'quality kit at-a-bargain' )) (OK, it's all relative!)

Good choice, IMHO, very portable kit, and one that can give you great quality pics, and if you ever decide to upgrade, all these lenses will have good resale-value, too!

Did you order the 20D or 350D body to go with this glass, UV/Protect Filters to protect them? Flashunit?

Again, my congratulations, I wish you many happy years shooting these!

Kindest regards,

Max@Home
Yeah, it certainly is relative. I think for me, a bargin camera would have been about $300.00. This is stretching us very tight but I think I have to do it or I won't be able to go into hospitals to photograph, I'd just still be doing photography for myself and art shows, but certainly wouldn't be able to do my anti-cancer project (I've been calling it a cancer project, but that sounds too supportive of cancer).

I got the lenses because I needed something that I could afford yet take to the zoo and other places to get shots I would not be able to get with a shorter lens. I got the 17-40 because I needed something I could use to take portraits in a very cramped situation like the hospital rooms. I got the 50mm because I figured for $70.00 I needed a fast lens in my kit and I can manage an extra $70.00 with what I've been saving on other things. I also got the lenses because though I plan on sticking with my camera till it dies on me, I may end up going full frame eventually and if I still go with Canon when that day comes, I want to be able to just move my lenses over to that camera. The camera comes with the basic lens too...but I'm not sure how much use it will ever get.

I'm getting the 20D. In fact, Costco says it is scheduled to get here tomorrow. I'll probably spend most of my time tomorrow by the front door bouncing up and down in anticipation. I have the 580 but still need to get another flash which will probably be the sunpak 383. I have the lightsphere to go with the 580 in case that is all the lighting I need in some of the rooms and I'm anxious to try it out.

I am pretty sure I have a UV filter that will work for one of the lenses, but need to get them for the others.

My biggest concern right now is getting a background stand and backgrounds. I've found a place with by-the-yard muslin and I think I'm just going to rig up something so that I can iron them at home, then roll them up on something so they don't get wrinkled (or not much...hopefully). I may just serge the edges and not even make a pocket or anything so that I just use clamps to hold them to whatever stand I get. The background is the most important part of this whole venture though really...the only way to make these pictures have the feel of somewhere OTHER than the hospital for the families. I haven't decided if I'm going to try dying 1 or two backgrounds along with getting a black. Instead of washing the black in hot water and drying it on high to kill the germs (don't want to contribute to any difficulty for kids getting chemo) I'm going to get a bunch of tea tree oil I think it is, it kills germs...moms with cloth diapers often use it when washing the diapers. The background is my biggest problem. Good grief, I saw someone bid on one from amvona...with 15 hours left they had gotten it up to $6.00 below the wholesale price listed. I don't understand these people...if they are willing to spend that much, go buy it from amvona without having to bid on it and you'll get it 15 hours sooner! Sorry...just a little gripe there because I keep getting excited that no one is bidding on one and then it shoots up and out of my price range quickly.

Whew...long ramble there!

I expect to have lots and lots of fun with the camera (and also lots of depressing moments, but not because of the camera) and I have already got places to go shoot figured out in my head.

Sara

ellette is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: