1DS Mark III -- 22 megapixels
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 454
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 1DS Mark III -- 22 megapixels

I realize there's nothing official yet from Canon about this camera, but is it possible to extrapolate some of what we're likely to see, given current technologies available in the Digic III and what Canon has introduced with the Rebel xTI and the 1D Mark III?

Most seem to think it will sport 22 megapixels. Any other opinions?

Old 05-14-2007   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 29
Default Re: 1DS Mark III -- 22 megapixels

Last September, a friend, who had recently returned from Japan, told me that he'd seen an 1DS with this spec. He had been unable to find out availability dates. At the time I thought it was yet another rumour - it seems it could be true!
John Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439

The 1D Mark III looks like a decent offering at 10 megapixels.

It'd be interesting to see what Canon has up their sleeves for new offerings at the pinnacle of it's digital lineup.

Julio
Old 05-23-2007   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonfreak View Post
The 1D Mark III looks like a decent offering at 10 megapixels.

It'd be interesting to see what Canon has up their sleeves for new offerings at the pinnacle of it's digital lineup.

Julio

I think the single biggest feature of the Mark III is the provision of usable ISO 6400...
Old 05-23-2007   #5
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 398383

I've heard that will be less than <22MP but improved in other ways. Nobody truly knows for sure. This is secondhand from a Canon rep (they typically don't know more than the average consumer).

The influence of a well-balanced, well-ordered life is of inestimable value. . . . E.G. White
Kevin Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelOlavich View Post
I think the single biggest feature of the Mark III is the provision of usable ISO 6400...
...at 14 bit colour depth...

...and at 10fps...

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007   #7
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
...at 14 bit colour depth...

...and at 10fps...

Max@Home
...yea, yea...and one more: You can dial in your lens AF for better accuracy...it just keeps getting better and better....but the one area that Canon still has not improved much in: Dyanmic Range...true also for most all makes, regrettably :-(
Old 05-23-2007   #8
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Canon is advancing the ball, in ways that they know how to. Add more pixels. Make the FPS faster. Slap more noise reduction on an image with higher ISO. Steal Olympus LiveView and Dust-Buster technology. Why don't they steal the Fuji claim of higher dynamic range?

I'm sorry, but if most people on here need 10fps because 5 or 6fps just isn't good enough, then you all got problems. And if you need iso6400, then you ought to invest in some lights. Not many churches keep the lights off during weddings...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #9
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
Canon is advancing the ball, in ways that they know how to. Add more pixels. Make the FPS faster. Slap more noise reduction on an image with higher ISO. Steal Olympus LiveView and Dust-Buster technology. Why don't they steal the Fuji claim of higher dynamic range?

I'm sorry, but if most people on here need 10fps because 5 or 6fps just isn't good enough, then you all got problems. And if you need iso6400, then you ought to invest in some lights. Not many churches keep the lights off during weddings...

Sour grapes, Mr. Pickles? ISO 6400 means more DOF...in light challanging shots....this is no small thing...it seems we spend decades being limited by our cameras, film, graininess, noisy sensors, etc, so that even after a camera maker finds ways to free us from certain limitations through inovation, we fight it, and think "what crazy person would require ISO 6400"?

Look at it this way: Usable high ISO 6400 can open up many more opportunities...wow!!!

And by the way Mr. Pickles, Canon does NOT "slap on more noise reduction" as you claim...they use less NR then other makes because low noise sensors means less NR required. There are more then a few other makers that produce "clean high ISO" images, and sure they be clean, but their over aggressive NR means no noise and NO IMAGE DETAIL baby...Canon requires the least amount of NR, meaning more image detail preserved.
Old 05-24-2007   #10
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Sour grapes? What the heck for? Because I don't have the far and away number one camera in the world, and especially the one that is highly touted by Pavel?

Umm, no.

When I decide to shoot a macro in a closet with no lights, I'll think about getting something with clean iso6400. Call me crazy, but I like light. Light makes me see better. I can't see good in a closet with no lights, or with one birthday candle burning. If Canon can shoot images in there, and have them look pretty, good for them.

Interesting that Canon is so keen on making "clean" images, while other camera manufacturers are more concerned about other aspects of digital photography. Getting harder to bad mouth the other brands when your brand is stealing all their innovations and adopting them, isn't it?

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: