Get EOS R or 5Dmk4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2019   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 604
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Get EOS R or 5Dmk4

Hello, I am in the market for a new camera. I am a long time user of the DSLR 50D. My main interest is getting a full frame camera. The only glass I have is the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM.

At first I was planning on just getting the 6Dmk2. But after looking over reviews and what not, I think I am willing to pay more for the 5Dmk4 or the EOS R. But now I don't know which one is right for me. The 5Dmk4 has a good reputation but has been out for a while. The EOS R looks solid, but now I am reading that one will be replaced within a year with IBIS and other improvements. I also know I can use the adapter and still keep my L lens I have already.

Is the EOS R and lenses made with RF mount the future of Canon? Or will Canon keep making EF lenses for DSLRs? I would like to get something now, since I have a lot of travel plans for this summer. Waiting for new models isn't of interest because I don't think I will be willing to pay for what they bring out next. I mainly shoot landscape and day to day family pictures.

Can anyone suggest if I should get the 5Dmk4 or the EOS R based on their experience? I keep watching reviews but I feel like I'm 50/50 still.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Get EOS R or 5Dmk4

I was on the fence trying to decide if I should upgrade to a 5D MkIV or go the mirrorless route with the EOS R. I read many articles and forums and saw many, many negative comments about the R. The comments are ultimately based on a certain set of user expectations. If objective, you can match your skill set, expectations, and needs to the right equipment regardless of public commentary. Reviews are a good thing, but must be interpreted based on your needs. It's anyone's guess about what Canon might do and when. If options and features are added to a next gen R camera, the cost will certainly increase. I've heard that the next versions will be announced sometime in 2020 and be more directed towards professional photographers ($$$). For me, the R hits a sweet spot for technology, functionality, performance, and cost. I decided it was time to move on from my 5D MkI so I ordered an R. Good luck to you!

Fresca

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: