A-DEP on 7D ii
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 19891
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default A-DEP on 7D ii

I'm thinking of upgrading to a 7Dii. But I quite often use the A-DEP setting on my 500D for landscapes to get the distance and nearby trees or flowers, etc all in focus. The 7D doesn't seem to have A-DEP. How do I get round this ? I realise a small aperture will give me a large depth of field, but I won't know how much or where to focus. A-DEP is so much more useful.

Old 03-04-2019   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544
Default Re: A-DEP on 7D ii

I am pretty sure your 500D has a depth of field preview, and such a feature is almost a given on a camera like the 7Dii. You might try using this feature to check the actual blur in the image, perhaps along with manual focus. That is what I would do if I were unsure about whether the sharpness would be acceptable. However, be prepared for the image in your viewfinder to dim drastically, if you have stopped way down.

You might try taking two images, one focused on the background and the other on the foreground, and perhaps a third with the camera focused at about twice the foreground distance in front of you, assuming that the background is fairly near infinity. In all probability, the third photo will have both background and foreground in adequate focus. If not, the background and foreground will be about equally out of focus. If you want the foreground to be more in focus than the background, then bias your focus distance toward the foreground, say, focusing at half again the distance from the lens to the foreground or, to put it another way, focus an extra distance about half that between the lens and foreground.

A rule-of-thumb if the distance foreground and background distance are fairly comparable is to focus about one third of the distance between the two into the background. This will generally make the foreground about twice as sharp as the background. This allows for the fact that foreground blur is usually more objectionable than background blur, especially if the foreground is of equal or greater visual importance compared to the background.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 19891

Sorry. I must have been unclear. My 500D has an A-DEP mode. In this, the camera looks at all focus points and adjusts the aperture and focus point so that all focus points are in focus. Very useful for landscapes with foreground flowers, etc.
How can I do this on the 7D, which does not seem to have an A-DEP mode ?
I know about the preview button, which I use, and I know about the hyperfocal distance method of focussing, but with current zoom lenses without depth of field scales on the lens it is hard to be certain what will be in focus, hence the usefulness of A-DEP. Also, using the preview button only gives you a small, dark image which is not good enough to be certain what will be sharp.
brocheste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544

I have A-DEP on both my Canon 350D and 40D, and have worked with one of the other for about a decade now. That said, I never quite understood A-DEP nor found enough of a need for this feature to figure it out. Except for extreme situations, I have generally found f/8 or so to work well enough except in extreme cases. I also can't find any examples of one of your shots where this feature appears to be necessary. Can you supply one or two, preferably with EXIF headers?
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 6146683
Editing OK?: Yes

Check out this site: Online Depth of Field Calculator

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: