Recommendation for Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 953131
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Question Recommendation for Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Good Day! Could you, please inform, whether this is a good idea to use Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM for allround usage? I mean to use it on a regular basis. Is it a good idea?

Please, excuse my poor english...
Canon EOS 700D
Canon 18-55STM, Canon EF 100 mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro,Canon Speedlite 430EX II
Canon PowerShot S120.
Oleg2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Recommendation for Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

A good idea? Well, that depends on you. If that focal length works for you and it takes good enough images for you (whatever camera you use it on) then it makes sense to use it. Lots of shooters use one lens, usually a 35mm or 50mm in 35mm (full-frame) terms.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019   #3
Dromedary

Thumbs up Re: Recommendation for Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
A good idea? Well, that depends on you. If that focal length works for you and it takes good enough images for you (whatever camera you use it on) then it makes sense to use it. Lots of shooters use one lens, usually a 35mm or 50mm in 35mm (full-frame) terms.
Thanks!!
Canon PowerShot S120.
Old 01-07-2019   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 815299

When using the 18-55, do you find the shots falling in the 24mm range? From your listed lenses, there is a hole around 85mm. Depending on your tastes, that might be a range to look at.
Gregw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544

The 50 mm "normal" lens on a full-frame digital camera has a field of view a bit telephoto-ish when compared to "normal" lenses on medium and large format film cameras. The 35 mm focal length was very popular among landscape and street photographers in the days before autofocus lenses and decent zoom lenses. A lens of 24 mm focal length would have a field of view equivalent to about 39 mm on a full-frame camera, qualifying it as a . The 24 mm lens on your camera would have a somewhat wider depth of field but slightly narrower field of view than a 35 mm lens on a full-frame camera and a field of view. In other words, your 24 mm focal length would work well as a normal to semiwide focal length for your camera and, depending on your shooting style and preferences, could make a good choice for a general-purpose prime lens for you.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019   #6
Dromedary

Thumbs up Re: Recommendation for Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregw View Post
When using the 18-55, do you find the shots falling in the 24mm range? From your listed lenses, there is a hole around 85mm. Depending on your tastes, that might be a range to look at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
The 50 mm "normal" lens on a full-frame digital camera has a field of view a bit telephoto-ish when compared to "normal" lenses on medium and large format film cameras. The 35 mm focal length was very popular among landscape and street photographers in the days before autofocus lenses and decent zoom lenses. A lens of 24 mm focal length would have a field of view equivalent to about 39 mm on a full-frame camera, qualifying it as a . The 24 mm lens on your camera would have a somewhat wider depth of field but slightly narrower field of view than a 35 mm lens on a full-frame camera and a field of view. In other words, your 24 mm focal length would work well as a normal to semiwide focal length for your camera and, depending on your shooting style and preferences, could make a good choice for a general-purpose prime lens for you.
Thanks! Excellent Recommendation !

Canon 24mm F2.8 EF (without USM) VS EF-S 24mm STM pancakes? Can be compared ?
Canon PowerShot S120.
Old 01-08-2019   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg2010 View Post
Thanks! Excellent Recommendation !

Canon 24mm F2.8 EF (without USM) VS EF-S 24mm STM pancakes? Can be compared ?

I don't have any direct experience with any of these Canon 24 mm models, so I can't do much in comparison. However, I would check out any reviews to find out what edge sharpness, chromatic aberration, barrel distortion, and vignetting can be expected. It doesn't appear that you need anything with particularly fast autofocusing, so that probably will not be a deciding issue. The "pancake" model is so called because it has an especially short front-to-back distance and doesn't stick far out from the camera. It is probably less expensive than the other models, so I would suggest paying special attention to its optical performance to see that it comes up to your standards. To avoid degrading its optical performance, I would also discommend topping it with butter and maple syrup.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019   #8
Dromedary

Smile Re: Recommendation for Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
I don't have any direct experience with any of these Canon 24 mm models, so I can't do much in comparison. However, I would check out any reviews to find out what edge sharpness, chromatic aberration, barrel distortion, and vignetting can be expected. It doesn't appear that you need anything with particularly fast autofocusing, so that probably will not be a deciding issue. The "pancake" model is so called because it has an especially short front-to-back distance and doesn't stick far out from the camera. It is probably less expensive than the other models, so I would suggest paying special attention to its optical performance to see that it comes up to your standards. To avoid degrading its optical performance, I would also discommend topping it with butter and maple syrup.

Thanks!
Quote:
To avoid degrading its optical performance, I would also discommend topping it with butter and maple syrup.

Great idea

Please, excuse my poor english...
Canon EOS 700D
Canon PowerShot S120.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: