Excessive Noise in Canon 1dxmii
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 26
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Excessive Noise in Canon 1dxmii

I have a Canon 1dxmii and shoot with all L series lenses including the 24-70 2.8, 70-200 II 2.8 and the 400 II 2.8 and have a major issue with noise. I shoot high school sports all the time as a large part of my business. I have been having a problem most notably shooting indoors with existing lights. The noise is so bad at ISO 3200 that it actually makes the image look out of focus and even though I custom White Balance the camera to the lights in the gym before every game, the color is terrible. now when Im shooting outdoors at night at a football game at ISO 2400 or even 3200, I don t notice it nearly as much, nice color, low noise and good contrast.
I have been having this problem pretty much since i have the camera almost two years now, but it has gotten to the point that Im trying to fix in post.
Anyone have any ideas? Attached is an edited sample from the other night's VB game.
Normally shooting at Full Manual Exposure but trying to fix this issue I have been trying ShutterSpeed Priority at 800 SS, the ISO at 3200 letting the Aperture fall to 2.8 which is giving me maybe a half stop underexposed. I have also tried using some exposure compensation.

AmbientLightStudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6967624
Default Re: Excessive Noise in Canon 1dxmii

At this size, it doesn't look bad to me. Looks pretty normal for iso 3200. Is this edited to preference, or basic straight jpg view?

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1461679

The funky color may be the result of mercury vapor lighting or some other lighting with a prominent line (as opposed to continuous) spectrum. Such lights can do strange things to colors.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4
Vicuna

Neither, edited to try and get rid of noise, shot as raw file. Seems as though for a 1dxmii I should be and have gotten better results.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
The funky color may be the result of mercury vapor lighting or some other lighting with a prominent line (as opposed to continuous) spectrum. Such lights can do strange things to colors.
There are lousy fluorescents but they all appear to be the same temp. I use the anti flicker setting on the camera also.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1461679

Fluorescent lights are a kind of mixed lighting, consisting of both a line spectrum from the gas discharge and a continuous spectrum from the glow of the phosphor coating, if the lights have such a coating. I have also found that the color and brightness of these lights can vary a lot over the course of a power line cycle, with the light being bright and strongly bluish over part of the cycle and dimmer and yellowish or reddish during the remainder. I was surprised to find that even the yellow street lights in my neighborhood have a small amount of continuous spectrum and that the line spectrum was mainly from mercury.

In any case, the concept of color temperature is a stretch for lighting that has an excess or deficient yellow or green component compared to the red and blue, a deficiency producing a magenta or purple, or violet-blue color cast. Such a source makes a poor match to a blackbody spectrum of any temperature. Much, but not necessarily all, of this can be alleviated by a proper manual white balance before shooting, and perhaps during shooting to take care of any slow drifts in the color balance.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
pop
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 345242
Editing OK?: Yes

Have the same camera as you. At 12000 to 16000 ISO, noise is negligible. You have tested in other areas and have got good results. So is it in this one arena only? Being a sports shooter I doubt if you have time to constantly check white balance, but having said that doesn't explain your noise at such a low ISO.
Sorry that I can't help.
Kind regards;

pop is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: