Dumb 7D question - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2018   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Dumb 7D question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didereaux View Post
First off his problem was that he no longer had the AF function by half pressing the shutter button. Secondly the lens worked normally on his other two camera bodies. That was the obvious indicator as to the cause.
This guy is using canon, not Nikon. AF function is internal to camera on the Canons. His solution proved what I had said was probable, namely that the camera had one of its buttons reassigned from the shutter button to another (i.e. back button focus) I will take credit on this one!
At no point did I disagree with your conclusion. Resetting to factory defaults was by far the easiest way to remedy the problem, but not necessarily the only one. The settings change may have been deduced from the menus. Most of the factory defaults are the first entry in each menu list.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #12
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10108519
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
First off his problem was that he no longer had the AF function by half pressing the shutter button. Secondly the lens worked normally on his other two camera bodies. That was the obvious indicator as to the cause.
This guy is using canon, not Nikon. AF function is internal to camera on the Canons. His solution proved what I had said was probable, namely that the camera had one of its buttons reassigned from the shutter button to another (i.e. back button focus) I will take credit on this one!
Agree. BBF was set.
Canon 80D
Misc. Canon Lenses
Sigma 150-600mm C
Sigma 100-400mm C
Samyang 8mm Fisheye
greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018   #13
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 46155364
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Since this was used it is quite possible that the previous owner changed one of the buttons on the back to AF mode removing it from the shutter button. Usual one is the * but check all by simply point and pressing one of those buttons. btw a huge number of pros and others do this Back button focus is great.
oh yeah, and read the MANUAL!
Having read the original post this was my 1st thought.

www.kevinagar.uk

My flickr site

Bird Life List 1231
Bird Photographed Life List 1038
Canon 7DMkII, 7D, 500L F4.0, 100-400L, 1.4 Extender, Speedlite 430EXII
Frogstar is online now   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: