Canon 7D Mark ii or 5d Mark iii - Aviation Photos - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2015   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 683702
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Canon 7D Mark ii or 5d Mark iii - Aviation Photos

Ooohh, Ouch ! Is that a Texan trainer
with its landing light blinding me ? I
can hardly tell, blinded by that light !

That's where you need a rapid frame
rate, which you'll then apply to auto
bracketing. With a rapid frame rate
the bracket shots can be similar enuf
to each other that you can HDR them
in post. Won't work EVERY time but
you'll get some winners now and then
and, acoarst, you'll still capture three
straight action frames from which to
choose a preferred exposure even if
they differ too much to work HDR.

`

`
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 299376
Editing OK?: Ask first

Uhhh, no thanks! I'll just have to pass on the photo. By this time at a fly-in, most of us have put away our planes and hit the beer. This was just a last minute landing that I happened to snap a pic. I mostly liked the outcome, just not the noise.
Flynlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016   #13
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

Personally, I'll always opt for full frame over APS/C. Sounds like you don't need the extra reach that 7d affords you. Adjustments can be done strictly with choice of lenses and yes, A teleconverter of 1.4 x sounds great. The 5D mark III is another in a line of legendary cameras or so it seems. You shoot in mostly well lit conditions so any light fall off from the 1.4 tele is no biggie. I'd be a buyer of 5D mk iii if I had that kind of money"
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016   #14
Alpaca

Not to be contrary but he should look at the Tamron 28-75 2.8. For well under 500 it's absolutely fab. Been compared to the 24-70 L and met the challenge pretty well. I challenge anyone to tell the diff in everyday shooting situations. I have L series lenses but the Tamron is still the first one out of my bag. It really is remarkable.
Old 09-25-2016   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Granted, the Tamron 28-75 mm f/2.8 is a very good lens for the price when attached to an APS-C camera, but my copy is a bit soft at full telephoto and wide open. I have never shot with this lens with a full-frame camera, nut my understanding is the extra frame area at the edges uncovers some shortcomings in edge sharpness there. I have also noticed some longitudinal chromatic aberration with this lens and it doesn't stand up to heavy usage as well as some of the other lenses I now have. Nevertheless, for several years this was my go-to general-purpose lens and I have shot some nice photos with it.
scoundrel1728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016   #16
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 6424

I can't comment on the AF tracking abilities of the 6D (since my technique is in desperate need of improvement), however, I have shot the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 on the camera. With my copy, there is some softness on the edges of the full frame shot. It's not to extent that I avoid shooting it. In fact, now that we are losing daylight and moving inside more, I will shoot it more (I use the 24-105 f/4L regularly in the summer).

Matt
Canon EOS 6D with Vello BG-13 Grip, Canon EOS Rebel T2i (550D) w/BG-E8 grip, EOS 3, Elan 7N, EF 28 f1.8, EF 35 IS USM f2, EF 50 f1.4, EF 85 f1.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L, Canon EF 17-40 f/4L, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 430 EX II Speedlite
mattstaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #17
Llama

CamelKarma: 719206
Editing OK?: No

Good choice with the 5D3. Just shoot the largest file size and crop as necessary if you are too far away.

Pat

Canon 5D mark III
Canon 100-400 mark II L IS
Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS
Canon 24-105 L
Canon 16-35 L f4
Canon 50 f1.4
Canon 28 f1.8
Canon 1.4 tc
Canon Powershot SX50HS
Patt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016   #18
Alpaca

I've used it w/ a full frame and whatever softness at the edges (haven't seen much) I simply crop out. I guess I'm not in the big leagues when it comes to perfect photos. I don't shoot for magazines or for shows, so the Tamron has been a very good way for those without unlimited budgets to still produce bright colors and sharpness in all the mid apertures. I've seen it sell for 350 in trade mags so, that's good news for us rank amateurs.
Old 07-06-2017   #19
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 122

7D2 or 5D3 both have the AF for great A2A shots. All else being equal (which it isn't) full frame will be sharper and better DR.

So much is dependent on the skill of the pilots and the shot you are looking for, as that will dictate focal length needed. I have done A2A with 7D2 & 15-85 (superb lens) Or full frame & 70-200 II, as well as 100-400. The key is knowing the spec and choreography in advance.
JohnM100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018   #20
Alpaca

I think 7D mark 2 it's better due to crop sensor and better Af sistem.

Albume digitale | Foto video nunta Brasov | Foto nunta Brasov
compasiune11 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: