20D accessories: must-haves
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2005   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 40
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 20D accessories: must-haves

How many of you are using the accessory grip, the one with the extra shutter release? I understand the early ones were defective somehow.

What other accessories are you finding indispensible?

Old 07-19-2005   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Default Re: 20D accessories: must-haves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Morrison
How many of you are using the accessory grip, the one with the extra shutter release? I understand the early ones were defective somehow.

What other accessories are you finding indispensible?
the angle finder finds it's way onto the body more than my TC remote.
i shoot a lot of stuff with the tripod low to the ground, and find this gadget to be worth every penny.
because of all the problems i have read about in regards to the grip, i steered away from getting one.
Michael-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 15

Dont know if this would be the right place to post this as there is a thread for lighting etc elsewhere.

As we all know, the 20D uses EO ETTL II system and a dedicated flashgun has to be used.

I looked into the canon range of speedlites and couldnt believe the price, 300+ I'd love to stick with canon accesories but cant at that price, so today I opted for the new EF-500 Super DG by Sigma. RRP is 199.99 but I got one for 169 out of a high street shop. Dont know if they've made a mistake or not, but my lips are sealed.

So far everything seems to be good, but not had the oppertunity to test it out to its full potential.

Here is the link for Sigma

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/flash/500super.htm

Will post results as and when

Trev
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1443426
Editing OK?: No

I used the 20d for awhile with the grip with no problems at all, my wife uses it now and still no problems.
RobAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 37

Hey, Rob: Are you ever sorry you bought the 600mm lens instead of the 500? Lots of weight, eh?
Simon Easton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I was thinking about getting the grip which in my opinion adds balance and presence to the camera. BTW, I heard that Canon has rectified the grip problem, so I guess its safe to buy now. It is one of my "must have" accessories. But I was also thinking about buying another flash, the 580EX to compliment my 420EX, which I found to be a bit less powerful on some occasion. High on my list is also the 17-40mm/F4L lense. If I were to prioritize my "must have" it will go like this: 1) 17-40/f4L 2) 580EX flash 3) grip 4) remote release.

Tim
twkong2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #7
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 9005

The grip although it's a pain in the you know what .
I have ordered a hoodman version now in the hope that's a correct grip without flex and battery problems.

But also :
Flash wire.
To remove the flash from the body and use it in different locations.

external flash.
The onboard flash is for emergency only, a 420EX or 580EX will give you so much more

Remote control.
Never thought about it but now that I have it I LOVE it.
Perfect for those shots where every movement is too much, just use the mirror lockup and go.

Greetings,
Frank
J.A.F. Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 23

Essentials:
  • Canon BG-E2 Vertical Grip
  • Canon 580EX Speedlite (or Sigma EF-500 DG Super if on a budget)
  • Sto-fen #OM-EY Omni-Bounce for Canon 580EX

Optional:
  • Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2
  • Sekonic L-358 (or similar)
  • ... add here $30,000 worth of stuff...

Just my 2c.

Ciao!
Antonio
Old 08-03-2005   #9
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 398383

I think a flash bracket is a must have... that in conjunction with a Stofen Omnibounce for the 580EX.
I was going to get the battery grip until I read all of the horror stories associated with it.

Kevin

The influence of a well-balanced, well-ordered life is of inestimable value. . . . E.G. White
Kevin Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1443426
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Easton
Hey, Rob: Are you ever sorry you bought the 600mm lens instead of the 500? Lots of weight, eh?
Simon sorry I missed this post. I do not regret the 600mm at all. Its heavy but I do masonry for a living and I am young. So its no big deal for me at all. At times I even want more then the 600mm so I might have been dissapointed with less the 100mm. However weight is a factor to many people with this lens, my wife would never lug this thing around if she was alone, so I carry it for her I can hand hold the 600mm for a few shots but if handholding is a concern I would go with the 500mm. I use a monopod a lot with great results and I use the 1548 gitzo tripod with great results. When we are hiking far, I use the lowpro 600aw just for the 600mm and the camera body. Works great for long distance. Something like the zoo or short distance I just put it over my shoulder.

Here is me in action, moving to a different location

RobAmy is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: