20D accessories: must-haves - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2005   #11
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 61279
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: 20D accessories: must-haves

Very neat picture, Rob.
Cool Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1443426
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
Very neat picture, Rob.
Thanks, my wife gets all the credit here
RobAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005   #13
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes
Default 20D accessories: must-haves or wanna-haves ?? ;-))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Morrison
How many of you are using the accessory grip, the one with the extra shutter release? I understand the early ones were defective somehow.

What other accessories are you finding indispensible?
Hi again, Alice Morrison,

Your shooting style and habits will tell you in time what accessoiries *you* find indispensible, but to name a few of *my* must/wanna haves:

Grip: for extra stability and security with the E-1 handstrap (comes without strapping-instruction, the instruction how to 'strap' it is in the manual of the grip ) but most important to *me* is the second control set when shooting 'portrait-mode'.

The defect seems to have been cured yes/no? I read different reports on PBase... I have a 1st generation grip and it never gave me trouble unless I forced it, but I did do the 'creditcard-trick' just in case...

FYI: The creditcard-trick: place a small strip of plastic 'creditcard thick' on the left side (looking from the back) between grip and camera, to the left of the small 'position-pin' and a same small strip on the left side of the 'shaft' that goes inside the body.

Another 'must-have': Large, Fast and Reliable CF-card

*I* tend to shoot a lot when I am at it, and I shoot RAW+JPG medium-Fine ), currently use a 4Gb Kingston Elite Pro.

A musthave for portraitteers: effective Flash-setup: I use the 580ex, 420ex, OmniBounce for both, the OffCameraShoeCord2, an L-bracket, stand, umbrella, etc...

USB2 internal cardreader with BreezeBrowser DownloaderPro on home-station, downloading and organising in one swift move, a must-have for *me* as I am a 'multi-camera' user ), A nive 'wanna-have' is USB2 external cardreader, so you can check your pics on *any* available computer 'down the road' - or, more commonly in *my* case, at work.

Essential for me is the OpTech neckstrap that helps absorbing the shocks when I move around with camera and 'heavy' combinations.

Some wannahaves: if Macro is your thing (too), if possible a tripod collar for the macro-lens (mine's a EF100F2.8 Macro) and an AngleFinder C together with a (timed-)remote control, and a highly flexible tripod (fully adjustable center column, mine is a Benbo Trekker w/Pro-head and QR-plates).

Essential in rainy Holland to me is a 'compact' TopLoader to be always able to quickly stow gear-in-use (with your largest lens on) when rain catches you - I use a LowePro TopLoadZoom, that holds (barely, not preferrably, but does in case of emergency) 20D+grip+EF100-400 L IS w/hood reversed and 580ex in frontpouch.

...the list goes on...

...and, although they are not really reckoned 'accessoiries', IMHO you should concentrate on lens(es) first )

...and while we are at it, let's not forget to include some decent batch-capable RAW-converter/'PhotoShop' software in the budget...

Hope this has given you some to 'chew' on )

Kindest regards,

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005   #14
Llama

CamelKarma: 246

I realy like the STROBOFLIP VH2000 BY STROBOFRAME, to keep the flash over my lens when I flip my 20d. I use the 550EX flash with a Lumiquest pocket bouncer. I never use the on camera flash. Also use the 17-40 f4 & 70-200 f4. I love this set up, untill I get about eight grand saved.

Joe
CI Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005   #15
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 33

I must be the only person who thinks that it's crazy to put a vertical grip on a camera that doesn't already have on built in. My 1D Mark II has a vertical grip that I wish I could take off in 90% of circumstances, and one of the reasons I enjoy using the 20D so much as a recreational camera is because it lacks that bulky accessory.

It's also another reason I am looking at the 5D; it'll give me a 1-series viewfinder in a gripless, lightweight body.

Arka C.
lordarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005   #16
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordarka
I must be the only person who thinks that it's crazy to put a vertical grip on a camera that doesn't already have on built in. My 1D Mark II has a vertical grip that I wish I could take off in 90% of circumstances, and one of the reasons I enjoy using the 20D so much as a recreational camera is because it lacks that bulky accessory.

It's also another reason I am looking at the 5D; it'll give me a 1-series viewfinder in a gripless, lightweight body.

Arka C.
I've often wondered about that too. I used to really like my OM4ti as it was so small and easy to handle. Once the winder and grip was attached it became rather cumbersome. I guess it looked a lot more impressive though .
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005   #17
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 31
Default Indispensible for 20D, 10D, D30, D60, 300D, 350D, et. al.

The ONE accessory that will make any shooting day more pleasant is a decent camera strap.

I like the Tamrac Boomerang model. It is wide and made of neophrene (or a close substitute). It distributes the weight of your camera/lens and the stretch of the strap eases carrying it all day.

I would not be without one... Best twenty bucks or so I ever invested in camera equipment.
Old 09-10-2005   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 23

<<I must be the only person who thinks that it's crazy to put a vertical grip on a camera that doesn't already have on built in. My 1D Mark II has a vertical grip that I wish I could take off in 90% of circumstances,>>

I, too, never gave a second thought to the BG-E2...the battery life is so good already on one battery, and it is so much less weight simply to have a second battery in the bag! As a person attracted to Olympus OM-1 in the early 70's and later added an OM-4 to my full system, the bulk of the BG-E2 in addition to the larger bulk and weight (even though still quite good by dSLR standards!) of the 20D, adding the BG-E2 makes no sense for me either.

Essential accesories for me are 1) lens that gives me at least a 24mm FF field of view, 2) radio remote, 3) way to offload pics from CF without lugging a full laptop around, 4) angle finder, and lastly 5) a way to mount my fast OM lenses on the Canon for low light work...shooting wide open in low light, I don't miss the lack of auto diaphram and the manual focusing is so good that I don't really miss AF while using the Olympus lenses! Fortunately for me, I have all my essentials already.
Wilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007   #19
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 13247
Editing OK?: Ask first

WOW Rob that thing is HUGE!!
Looks like a bazooka on steroids.
I thought my Sigy EX DG APO OS 80-400mm was big.

As for my 20D essentials.....

I hafta have a Batt Grip....gotten so used to having one a camera only seems like a half a camera without one!!
But then I have long fingers and need the extra bulk.
As for my Batts.....I can say Sterlingtek is one of the best!
Cold day in hades before I spend $50 each for Canon BP511's!!
ST just had a special....buy 3 batts and a travel charger for $70 shipped and get a 4th batt free....how can ya beat that.
They aren't the slouch batts either...2000mAh.

I also have a RS-80N3 remote...pretty important for macro and slow shutter work.

I use Tamrac Suade padded strap.....I have had some for years and never wear out.
I get the ones with quick disconnect incase I need it.

Just a few of my must haves

Nikon D5300 | Nikon Coolpix P7700 | Giottos MT 9170 TP-Bogen 3262QR | Manfrotto 679B Mono-Bogen 3229 | Bags and Packs by Lowepro
GraphyFotoz is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: