How to limit aperture ?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 4114
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default How to limit aperture ?

When shooting with the 50/1.8 the camera and I have some fierce disagreements. In Tv mode the camera decides that f/1.8 is better than raising ISO- I disagree since I think anything below f/2.8 on that lens looks bad. In Av mode when I set it to f/4 the camera thinks that a shutterspeed of 1/60 should be plenty fast- it isn't.

Ideally I would like to have a setting to tell the camera "don't go slower than 1/x and don't open the aperture wider than f/x- I don't care about the rest". Apparently that's an option on Nikons but not on my 5d2. Soo.. what are the alternatives that allow me to achieve the above goal with a minimum of button fiddling so I can focus on composition and posing instead ?

Old 06-17-2011   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No
Default Re: How to limit aperture ?

shoot manual?!
Old 06-17-2011   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2564
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rense View Post
shoot manual?!
+1.
Or switch to Nikon.

Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 76609

shoot manual. it is not as difficult as it looks. i just swich the highlight alert
function of the camera on. setting to spot metering. and then meter highlights
and overexpose that reading by two stops. if highlights blink underexpose till
highlights just stops blinking. now it depends on cases some times we have
to let highlights blink because dynamic range might be too high. it works for
me and does not take much time to do just little bit practice.
kridsada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 4114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rense View Post
shoot manual?!
That's fine for static scenes but I am way too slow doing this for candids.
Cross_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465
Editing OK?: Ask First

Shoot in Tv or Av and raise the ISO manually instead of depending on auto ISO.
Old 06-20-2011   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595

Or raise the ISO to the max you find acceptable, and shoot at that for everything. Take it out of the equation.

The fact that 1/60 is too slow is proof enough that you should be shooting in manual mode. Manual is faster than you might think, even for candids. If your camera is "mostly" set up for the light and expected subjects, you can easily go by feel. Three clicks of the wheel (or two, depending how it's set) will change the aperture or shutter by one stop. One button push and three clicks will change the iso. Or flash EV adjustment. Or EV adjustment. Or whatever.

Inside the viewfinder, there are all sorts of clues on the most important settings, so you rarely even have to pull it away from your face.

I also wish setting range limits was an option for my 7D, for all sorts of things like iso, aperture, shutter, but also focus distance.
stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross_ View Post
When shooting with the 50/1.8 the camera and I have some fierce disagreements. In Tv mode the camera decides that f/1.8 is better than raising ISO- I disagree since I think anything below f/2.8 on that lens looks bad. In Av mode when I set it to f/4 the camera thinks that a shutterspeed of 1/60 should be plenty fast- it isn't.

Ideally I would like to have a setting to tell the camera "don't go slower than 1/x and don't open the aperture wider than f/x- I don't care about the rest". Apparently that's an option on Nikons but not on my 5d2. Soo.. what are the alternatives that allow me to achieve the above goal with a minimum of button fiddling so I can focus on composition and posing instead ?

If you want control over the Tv and the Av combination yet still allow the Camera’s TTL to dictate the Exposure settings: manually select an ISO which is suitable for the scene(s) in which you will be shooting such that in the darkest area allows: Tv 1/80s AND Av F/2.8
Having selected that ISO, use “P” Mode.
Engage Program Shift which then allows you to select both Tv and Av, by employing only one dial.

WW
William W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 2683374

Quote:

you just really need to learn the basics of how photography works and learn your equipment.

SONY A99 A580 and A55
........Carl Zeiss 16-80mm, .Sigma 50-500mm (bigma) f4, Minolta 50mm f1.7, Minolta 35-70 F4 Macro. Minolta 28-85mm F3.5 Macro. tons of studio lights and modifiers 9 full frame
Brian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595

Quote:
Ideally I would like to have a setting to tell the camera "don't go slower than 1/x and don't open the aperture wider than f/x- I don't care about the rest".
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitobeach View Post
you just really need to learn the basics of how photography works and learn your equipment.
I know my own equipment pretty well and the basics of photography, and I want that function myself.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: