The anatomy of a 1915 Kodak pocket camera
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Phone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008   #1
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 3200
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default The anatomy of a 1915 Kodak pocket camera

Circa 1915, The No. 2 Folding Autographic Kodak Brownie.

It is an amazing bit of vintage engineering! I really like it

This camera is very small, about twice the size of a wallet when folded shut, so cool

I removed the lens as I intend to adapt it to Canon via bellows The old Kodak lenses are teeny tiny! The circa 1930 box Brownie's lens is the size of a nickel and the folder Brownie's is the size of a dime.

Remember the box Brownie from another post?

Here are both lenses for comparison.

I am waiting for more parts to arrive in the mail, when they get here I will adapt these lenses to my Canon dSLR and take some old photos

Cheers,
Craig

p.s. I was watching the movie "The day the Earth stood still" 1951 and saw a pocket folder!

Old 12-24-2008   #2
Former Camel

Default Re: The anatomy of a 1915 Kodak pocket camera

It's easy to adapt an old lens to a modern dSLR. All you need is a bellows and a body cap. Mount the bellows to your camera, drill the body cap to accommodate the lens, glue / JB Weld / screw the lens into the body cap on center, then attach the body cap to the end of the bellows.

You can focus the lens by adjusting the bellows. This only works with lenses that have a registration (distance from film to lens) that is greater than the dSLR - like a box camera or a folder camera.

It's called "Antique camera simulator"

I learned about it here

I think it'll be interesting to try the old glass

Cheers,
Craig
spystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 12368

Cool. Here's a shot from my similar adaptation today:

walter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #4
Former Camel

Groovy

What lens was it?

Post a pic of your "antique camera simulator" too

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Phone »

Share this topic: