Cell Phone vs Pinhole
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Phone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Cell Phone vs Pinhole

Cell Phone vs Pinhole by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 12-08-2018   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Default Re: Cell Phone vs Pinhole

Which is which? The wide walkway and what I think is the grass belt on the left have the same tonality, but the emergency kiosk and the sky in the image on the left look white in the image on the left but are considerably darker on the right. There is also some unevenness of tone in the image on the right, as well as some on the walkway, that smacks of some crude tone mapping. I would guess that the lightness is at least partly due to B&W film's oversensitivity to blue. For those reasons, I am guessing that the (film) pinhole image is on the left and the cell phone image is on the right.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018   #3
F1 Camel

Samsung Galaxy (cell phone image on left) vs. 4x5 inch Fomapan 100 sheet film (pinhole image on right)

Overcast daylight

Both cameras tripod mounted

Cell phone specs:
4.3mm focal length
ISO 50
f/2.4 aperture
1/342 second shutter speed

Pinhole specs:
0.4mm pinhole diameter
73mm pinhole to filmplane distance
ISO 100
f/183 aperture
1 minute shutter speed

Film developed in D76 diluted 1:1
Film scanned on Epson V850 flatbed
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018   #4
Camel Breath

Interesting. Kinda hard to compare the exposures because the exposure time on the pinhole shot is long enough for reciprocity failure to be noticeable. I wonder what is causing the tonal unevenness in the film version. I also wonder if my supposition that the emergency kiosk is blue as are the ones on the campus where I work. And D-76 1:1 ! You wouldn't be trying to make me nostalgic, would you?
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018   #5
F1 Camel

I also wonder about the tonal unevenness in the film version.

Here are some factors that may have contributed to the problem:
1. There may be a light leak. I had to crop the left side of the image to remove what appeared to be a light leak.
2. It has been years since I developed 4x5 film and I developed this film in a new darkroom.
3. I may have developed too many sheets of film (8 sheets) at one time and poor agitation may have contributed to the problem.
4. This was my first test of a new pinhole camera. I wanted to use a .36mm pinhole but could not find one. I had to settle for a .4mm but will replace it with a .3mm for my next test.
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018   #6
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsuitus View Post
I also wonder about the tonal unevenness in the film version.

Here are some factors that may have contributed to the problem:
4. This was my first test of a new pinhole camera. I wanted to use a .36mm pinhole but could not find one. I had to settle for a .4mm but will replace it with a .3mm for my next test.
My personal opinion is that you will be happier with the 0.40 mm pinhole, especially if 0.36 mm is the best theoretically for resolution. With the bigger pinhole, you will be giving up only 10 percent of your resolution or less, since part of the loss will be made up in less diffraction. In return, you gain about 1/3 stop in exposure time. Indeed, you might even consider stepping up to as big as a 0.50 mm pinhole. If you instead reduce the size of the pinhole, not only do you increase your exposure time accordingly but you also reduce your resolution overall because of an increase in diffraction.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Phone »

Share this topic: