Nikon WT-4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Equipment Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 14503
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Nikon WT-4

Have shot tethered a few times, but frankly, hate being tied to a pod/notebook, etc. Might be a little different if I could afford one of those 3K camera stands.

As such, decided to try out the WT-4 wireless transmitter (although it does have an ethernet port as well). Rather than use my old tethered standby of Capture One, I opted for LR2's "monitor folder" option as part of the setup.

This review is for the PC - I haven't tried it with a Mac yet.

First off - this is NOT a plug and play device whereby simply turning the thing on allows you to upload files to a PC via your wireless network. Nikon has you go through a bunch of stupid unnecessary steps so I will try to streamline the options as I used them.

This device will run in both Infrastructure (connect via a wireless access point or router) and AdHoc (connect directly to a PC's wireless card). I chose the Infrastructure mode. This can prove to be a duanting task for some that are not familiar with IIS and ftp; both of which are required if you want a "live view". Essentially, IIS (or Internet Information Services) are what is used to establish WWW, FTP, SMTP and a variety of other internet services in a server setting. You will be making the target PC a server so it is important to note that if you use Nikon's instructions for setting up FTP services to use anonymous user/pass you will leave your PC vulnerable to attacks like any other open FTP system. While within the confines of your studio with a closed network and/or WEP encrypted WAP you should be "ok" for the most part, but if you install it to a notebook and connect to other unsecured networks, you are leaving yourself open. Bottom line - if you are not comfortable with IIS - have your IT person set this potion up for you. Once complete, you will have a folder on your PC that you can target with the WT-4 upload settings.

The second part of the setup is the WT-4 Config utility. With the device connected via USB, the utility asks for the settings specified above and stores them within the WT-4

When connected to the D3, D300 or D700, you will navigate to the wireless menu and select the profile you just built with the config utility. You will also need to select the setting for auto-transfer vs using the ok button to transmit the files to the network.

Once you have all that setup, you can tell LR2 to monitor your ftp folder. As each new image hits the folder, LR2 updates the display with the latest image. Note - if you have clients watching you can attach a second display and use LR2's second window option which displays the image only and none of the panels. I tried this (facing the screen opposite the shooting area so the viewers backs were toward the subject) and it's amazing what a distraction it is. (guess you put a screen in front of someone and they will watch it LOL)

I used the 14bit option with the largest RAW files size (about 19MB) and from the time the shutter is clicked, until the file is rendered/displayed by LR2 is about 15 seconds. Not a speed record, but it is at the least predictable.

My personal opinions of this device are mixed. Once the headache of getting the thing setup are out of the way - it actually works quite well. Never expected the added bonus of distracting mothers - so that's a plus too. Battery life can be short. They don't include one, but it's the same EN-EL3e batteries the camera takes so I have plenty of those around. Range is decent. I am in a 40x120 steel building with the WAP on the second level midway and was able to shoot images from across the parking lot. They include a flimsy case with a loop (would never hold on a belt i don't think) and a neckstrap - but a belt clip would be MUCH better. (kept in back pocket - but it gets warm) I thought the cord that attaches from the camera body to the WT-4 would be cumbersome but hardly noticed it. Bottom line, it does what it says it will, albeit seems the design may be a little rushed.

If you have any questions - ask away

Old 03-25-2009   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Nikon WT-4

Is it possible to set up a WAP to increase the distance to between camera and laptop? I am trying to set up the nikon wt-4 with a netgear wg102 connected wirelessly to my lap top. I just cant get it to work - what am i doing wrong or are they incompatible?

Any idea where I could get help to set it up?

anne
trollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #3
Dromedary

Hi Anne, sorry for the delay in response as I didn't subscribe to the thread.

As for using a WAP .. in my setup I use one. So I guess the answer is yes.

But as to the "why" yours is not working .. without know a little more about your setup - I'm kinda in the dark.

If you are running in infrastructure mode

1. make sure your notebook has a static IP address (otherwise it could change every time you reboot making the WT-4 settings in your camera useless)
2. make sure your notebook is running IIS and FTP services.
3. verify that you can access the ftp folder on your notebook from another computer on the network using the user name and password you specified.

Those three hurdles seemed to be the biggest as they are not well documented in Nikon's instructions. If those three items are working correctly, rerun the Nikon transfer software and verify your settings before reattaching it to your camera.

Hope that helps!
JimH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 40

I hope this helps, but if you google "wt-4 setup guides", (sorry, I'm just going by my spotty memory) Nikon has published a series of PDFs explaining in detail how to set up the WT-4 in both infrastructure and Ad-hoc systems. If you follow this procedure to the letter, it actually works. I'm not terribly bright with networks, so it took me a while.

Good luck. The system is great once you get it to work. My only concern was that the battery only lasted about 2 hours. Has anybody else had this problem?

Pablo
payingmyduesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #5
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by payingmyduesagain View Post
If you follow this procedure to the letter, it actually works. I'm not terribly bright with networks, so it took me a while.
Agreed. However, it is important to heed the security warnings I raised in the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payingmyduesagain View Post
My only concern was that the battery only lasted about 2 hours. Has anybody else had this problem?
Again as with the OP - yes - battery life is very short. Although you are able to get twice the battery duration than I can.
JimH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 40

Hi Jim:

Glad to hear from you.

Are you serious about the 1 hour? Wow, that's brutal. I used to use a Wt-2 and that used to draw power from the camera battery. If memory serves, I believe that was good for about 4-5 hours.

I actually ended up buying 2 WT-4s, now I guess I should start looking at extra batteries. I had hoped that having 3 batteries would have been enough.

Thanks for your response,

Pablo
payingmyduesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009   #7
Dromedary

YMMV ... I primarily use this when I shoot kids. Squirmy, crawly, walking, hopping kids. Overshooting as I try to keep up with them. Results in a lot of BIG files that need to be transferred. Yes, makes it rather monotonous to cull - but get some of my best results this way.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Equipment Reviews »

Share this topic: