a Warning for all future Sigma 10-20mm owners!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Equipment Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 203
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default a Warning for all future Sigma 10-20mm owners!

make sure you take your camera body in and try out the lens' first hand before you out lay money for them! i didn;t and ended up with a copy, fairly soft all over, and even softer again down the left hand side, which from what i've read on the net (and why i was looking for it) a fairly common manufacture fault. lucky i bought from an excellent store that swapped it straight out for me. which i tried straight up in the store. but that replacement was soft.

they offered me a second replacement which i also tried out in store.

i struck pure gold with that. sharp to the edge wide open at f/4!

see here:

this really needs to be viewed at full resolution to appreciate the immediate difference!

flickr
joshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: a Warning for all future Sigma 10-20mm owners!

I think in the grand scheme of things, it is best to try lenses and camera before you buy them. About the only way to do that is to visit the local photography stores, the mom and pops, as it were.

But most will not visit the mom and pops, and haven't visited the mom and pops, and that is why a lot of them are now gone or going away. People are too fixated on the cost of the product itself, and can't figure a cost on incidentals that have no cost, like what if my lens isn't great?

Certainly some will think that all the lenses manufactured should be sharp, and that this is some how related to Sigma's poor quality. That is fine. But I have heard and read lots of stories of the major players having the same issues. It is all about quality control. The want to waste less than they should.

For you, good for you for going and getting the one that works the best. And kudos to the shop for letting you do it with minimal hassle. Wonder if the original one you had is still in the store, or on a truck back to the factory...?

But, the two close-ups show a bit of lighting difference between the two shots. One is darker. if the settings were exactly the same, then it might have been cyclical lighting that may show up at your 1/25sec shutter. Also, cynics might wonder if the softness is form movement on your part. And, the caption along the top of each large image doesn't make much sense, stating "iso 100 2 10mm". Not sure what the "2" is in there for....?

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673

Without all things being consistent, it's impossible to rule out other variables as part of the issue. Shooting that slow, you should have been on a tripod or something. Why the change in shutter speed? There is an obvious difference in lighting between the two shots. If all things were consistent, the lighting should have been the same.

Ultimately, if you're happy, that's all that counts. I suspect your "bad" copy ended up back in the box and on the shelf, though.
Old 07-27-2008   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 8600328

The only real way to tell how a lens will be is to try it out fully on your camera. I actually bought a Sigma lens and had it for a week and decided to return it for full refund. I bought from a larger local company that has a 14 day return policy. I used it a few days. Funny thing is that once I returned it the salesman put it back on the self.

Just as a side note. I kept all of it in 100% perfect condition, and it may look like new to the next owner but it is not. Not sure why stores do this. But now I know that they do.

Eero Makela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eero Makela View Post
Just as a side note. I kept all of it in 100% perfect condition, and it may look like new to the next owner but it is not. Not sure why stores do this. But now I know that they do.
Because if it's not obviously broken, they can't get a refund from their distributors or manufacturer without jumping through some serious hoops. Not to mention restocking fees. And the fact that the same lens will probably end up on the distributor's shelves for exactly the same reasons. In the end, your soft copy may actually be fine to someone else.

It's worth the risk to them.
Old 07-27-2008   #6
Vicuna

ha, that 2 is a typo on my part it's meant to be the '@' symbol, DOH!

well knowing that this lens has a bit of a reputation for having poor QC done on it, i though it best to purchase from a place that i know give excellent customer service, as opposed to the cheaper option of a grey import.

both of these shots were done on a tripod, with my camera body, and triggered with a wireless remote with a 2 second delay and mirror lock-up on. so the images are pretty indicitive of the quality of the lens. they were shot in AV mode, so the camera chose the shutter speed, which in the grand scheme of things, doesn't matter in the sharpness of the output.

i'd enough research on this lens, to know that some excellent copies are out there, and also what the major manufacture flaws are (soft all over, and softer again down the left hand side of a landscape) so i was wary to keep an eye out for them. in some photos, you couldn;t notice it, and in other photos it stuck out like a sore thumb. it was (obviously) most pronounced wide open at f4.0.
and seeing as i plan to use this lens to take photos in cathedrals and churches and landscapes and architecture through europe, for the next 2 months, the quality wasn't good enough. no way i was holding onto a lens that i could only use at f8.0, and on a tripod.

i stil love sigma lens' they are amazing quality for the price, if you get a 'good copy'
Old 12-16-2008   #7
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 58
Editing OK?: Yes

i'm interested in this lens, although the funding isn't there yet!

Thanks for the heads up.

Stephen
XTSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 12368
Editing OK?: Yes

Nice comparisons.

Of course I would suggest most people shouldn't be testing lenses for critical sharpness by shooting a close-up subject with a lot of depth, handheld at 1/30th of a second. That's just sloppy technique

Not that I doubt your claims. Obviously you had the lens for awhile and weren't happy with it.
walter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 32

One would assume that as so many things are robotically produced, that whatever Quality Control issues, as you believe is the problem, would affect a large batch of lenses built during one day or weeks off the assembly line!

Therefore, one would have to go to a complete different supplier and retailer to get a complete different batch number, as returning to the same place of purchase would only give you another lens off of the BAD batch!
MyPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #10
Vicuna

yeha i checked teh serial numbers on the various lenses and checked they were significantly different.

flickr
joshman is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Equipment Reviews »

Share this topic: