self standing monopod recomendations
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Equipment Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 94165
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default self standing monopod recomendations

Hey guys I am looking to use a monopod that is self standing to replace or substitute for my tripod to reduce weight in my bag. it needs to be capable of standing on its own with the camera atatched and be stable enough for log exposures with a lee big stopper filter. I will put a tether on the monopod to keep it from falling over. budget is a max of 300 bucks. I dont have any real long glass just my 24-70 2.8 and 70-300 vrII. to give you an idea of the weight. I plan to use it for parades as well while in disney where a tripod can be obtrusive at times.

hazegry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: self standing monopod recomendations

This Manfrotto 682B has some excellent reviews.

Manfrotto 682B Pro Self Standing Monopod with Retractable 682B
Old 02-06-2015   #3
Guanaco

Sirui P-424S Carbon Fiber Photo/Video Monopod BSRP424S B&H Photo
Looking at this one.
Old 02-08-2015   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazegry View Post
it needs to be capable of standing on its own with the camera atatched and be stable enough for log exposures with a lee big stopper filter.
Sorry but there is no such creature. A monopod is designed to be supported by the photographer. The tripod, hence the three legs is designed to stand on it's own.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Heard good things about Sirui's products in general. Well built and solid for the most part. But the same can usually be said for Manfrotto/Bogen too, and the one that Wolf linked to is less than half the price, and both hold the same weight (25-plus pounds).

The Sirui is listed and touted as being carbon fiber, but it weighs more than the Manfrotto. It can go a few inches higher, if that is needed in your case. The legs look a bit sturdier, but support weight is the same....

That said, I can agree with gryphonslair99 in that a monopod is a monopod. Mono means one in some language, and thus a monopod to a lot of people is a stick. You want sturdy and 3 legs, get a tripod. Or get both in one (tripod that cnverts to monopod in seconds), like the MeFoto GlobeTrotter or MeFoto RoadTrip line....

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015   #6
Guanaco

might still get it and just take my tripod I have now its 5.6lbs I can dump allot out of my kit and reduce the weight of it.

hazegry is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Equipment Reviews »

Share this topic: