The Carry Speed FV-3 Viewfinder/Sunshade
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Equipment Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 11755
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default The Carry Speed FV-3 Viewfinder/Sunshade

Having used a variety of sunshade and optical sunshade/viewfinders, I recently had the opportunity to get a Carry Speed FV-3 unit to use on a number of my dSLR's and my DP2 Merrill. I am very pleased with both the build, functionality and usefulness of this tool. First, a little about the reasons why such a device is not only useful, but indispensable in using an LCD to do fine focus, see the menus or carefully frame when shooting from a tripod with the sun at your back.

In the past I've used Hoodman, Photosolve's Xtend-a-View and other assorted viewfinders including the very expensive Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x. Of these, only the Zacuto and Carry Speed FV-3 have a true diopter adjustment which, because of changes in my vision over the years, I find very helpful.

The Carry Speed FV-3 is pretty much a one size fits all for three inch LCD's. The fit on my Sigma DP2 Merrill isn't "perfect," because of a 7.8 mm gap between the LCD and the rubber protective "boot" on the device, but functionally, it performs perfectly and the designer is working with me to possibly make modifications to make it a perfect fit.

The device has a large, rubber eye-cup which is reversible so that it can be used equally well for those with left or right eye preferences. It has a built-in, switch activated "cap" which blocks all light from entering and falling on the LCD when the device is not in active use. It has huge adjustments so that it fits nearly any dSLR and I believe it can be very useful even for those who have cameras like the Sony RX100 who need to shoot from a tripod for ultimate video quality. If used with an RX100, however, one must remove the camera from the tripod, then remove the FV-3 base-plate from the camera to gain access to the battery and SD card. This only takes a few seconds, but is somewhat inconvenient. With my Sigma DP 2 Merrill this is not necessary as the battery and SD card compartment is fully accessible with the FV-3 mounted and on the tripod.

The unit has a "hinge" midways which allows the optical portion to be flipped up out of the way for use as a sunshade only. The diopter is activated by a large knurled ring which encircles the barrel of the unit. Mounting to the camera is via the tripod mount and there are three replacement threads on the bottom of the base-plate to accommodate additional tripod and accessories. The base-plate also serves as an Arca Swiss mount so if you use that type everything works seamlessly with your tripod. Below is a link to the Carry Speed store where you can watch several videos about this unit. Also there are images of the FV-3 mounted with my Sigma DP2 Merrill on my tripod.

I'm quite impressed with this solution, and as I said, the designer has been very helpful and is working toward a seamless "cosmetic" solution for my DP2 Merrill - can't ask for more!

Best regards,

VF-3 Universal LCD View Finder by Carry Speed | Carry Speed Store

Lin
http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 173
Default Re: The Carry Speed FV-3 Viewfinder/Sunshade

It does look a little bulky? Its just that my bag is bulging as it is! I have gotten in the habit of only using my histogram in bright sunlight! It is annoying when trying to traverse through the menus when you need to tweak a setting! Thanks for your input!

Brady
Freezframe_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 11755
Default Re: The Carry Speed FV-3 Viewfinder/Sunshade

Hi Brady,

I've just reviewed the new Photosolve Xtend-a-View Pro 3.0 and it is truly a joy to use. It's much smaller and lighter than the Carry Speed and works and fits perfectly - see review here: index

Best regards,

Lin

Lin
http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Camera Equipment Reviews »

Share this topic: