How About Camera Straps? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010   #21
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1301
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: How About Camera Straps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmH View Post
I'm also a big fan of the Black Rapid R-straps. www.blackrapid.com
I've been happy so far with my R-5 strap and like that i can keep a few spare cards and a battery or 2 in the shoulder pockets.
robn70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #22
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 456458
Editing OK?: Yes

I just made my own version of the R-strap. It is a very simple design, but works really well. I have had no problems with my own version (been using it for about a week now) it cost me about $10 for all the parts including postage. The only thing it doesnt have is the pocket system.
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #23
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684
Editing OK?: Ask First

Back in the day, I had these narrow soft leather straps with a hook end closed by a plastic slider. The main advantage was they never got in the way like wide stiff straps do. I seem to recall they were made/sold by Rowi, but have not been able to find them for decades now.

Maybe the best thing I can do is get some narrow nylon webbing and make up my own straps. To my way of thinking if I even notice the straps when I have 3 cameras hanging around my neck and trying to take a photo, they are the wrong strap.
tomrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #24
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes

Lowepro - Transporter (Camera Strap)
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #25
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810

Op-Tech Pro Loop (must be the loop) gives extreme confidence on the safety because of the loop attachment. I hate them thread it back through straps.
Mel
jhawk1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010   #26
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4462

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
I use that too. The best strap I ever had (I have them on both DSLRs now). The shoulder pad is not fixed to the very robust strap, but that can slide freely through the pad. Firstly the shoulder pad grips quite good on the shoulder and does not constantly creep down the arm and secondly grasping the camera is not hindered by the strap (thanks to the sliding). The attached memory card holder is nice, too.

The one thing, I dislike are the quick release buckles. I know they are hard wearing, but nevertheless I am very mistrustful and therefor fixed them with a cabel tie permanently together. Also, they don't make much sense, as LP does not sell the short camera attachment loops separately. It would be great to have these loops not only on camera bodies, but also on the heavier lenses, to switch the strap between them. As it is now, I have two straps dangling around, when using a 300/2.8 or a Bigma...

Ben
Ben_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010   #27
Dromedary

This thread has made me experiment a bit.

1. I tried using the lanyard from my light meter on the Epson C-5050z. That is one of those with the loop of string on the end. With the string looped through the eyelet, and the lanyard worn bandoleer fashion it leaves the camera hanging about in the position that the R-Strap does. Of course there is no clip to slide up and down the strap, but the lanyard is soft enough and flexible enough that it does not get in the way.

Wouldn't do for a heavy camera, of course, but should be fine with that one. If I remove the lens tube and sunshade, the camera with retracted lens fits nicely under a coat too.

I dislike heavy bulky straps that are always in the way. I may make up something similar for the DSLR out of a bit heavier strap, maybe 3/8". In the mean time I found another lanyard laying about the apartment, this one a wrist strap for who knows what? I am using it on the DSLR as a safety strap, so I do not drop the camera. It does not even get in the way when the camera is on the tripod.

Not everyones' cup of tea, but it works for me.
Old 02-19-2010   #28
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

The Black Rapid is really good. I like it becasue the camera hangs off to the side. And the strap doesn't get in the way when I turn the camera vertically. The camera weight is on my shoulder not my neck. I wear it all day long and it's very comfortable.
Sandwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010   #29
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwedge View Post
The Black Rapid is really good. I like it becasue the camera hangs off to the side. And the strap doesn't get in the way when I turn the camera vertically. The camera weight is on my shoulder not my neck. I wear it all day long and it's very comfortable.
I can understand the advantages, but nevertheless find this kind of strap unuseable, as I have QR plates permamently mounted on all my camera bodies and lenses. And screwing a strap in the tripod socket somewhat contradicts the purpose of a QR systemů

So, a conventionally attached strap, like the above mentioned Lowe Transporter is my preferred choice.
Ben_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010   #30
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrit View Post
Not everyones' cup of tea, but it works for me.
I thought I would add a comment to my above post. I have been using that rig for a few days now. The camera does ride well under my coat. It is quite comfortable driving the car, does not get in the way at all. It is super easy to bring the camera into play (if the coat is worn open). I am quite pleased with the setup and my C-5050z will be carried that way from now on.

Another thing I tried, since my cameras all have a quick release plate on them, was to fasten the quick release base to my belt. With the camera clamped in place it was very easy to carry. However, it really took two hands to release it, one on the camera, and one to release it. Also, I felt it would be very easy to drop the camera when releasing it. A safety lanyard would take care of that last problem, but you still have the two hand problem.

It is kind of fun tinkering up things like this.

www.tomrit.com

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: