Petal lens hood and UV filter issue - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1279
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Petal lens hood and UV filter issue

No problem. If you do decide to get the circular hood just come back to this thread and click that link.
FAPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #12
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429

Quote:
Originally Posted by acker View Post
It's not that I don't like cirular hoods, I just thought a petal shape was a better choice.
Canon, who designed your lens, judged otherwise for the 18-55(IS), note that each Canon lens has a lenshood specifically designed for that lens to offer optimal protection against flare but without vignet or flash-shade problems

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #13
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 235
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by acker View Post
The hood works fine if I remove my UV filter, but that is not an option.
Depends entirely on your location. Whether there is an excess of UV light there. And there is an excess of UV light only at the beach/seaside, at sea, on large lakes, in the desert, in snowscapes, or above 3,000 feet altitude.

If you're not in any of those situations there is no excess of UV light to filter, so then the UV filter' only effective function is that it degrades image quality.
Erwin183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #14
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin183 View Post
If ..... there is no excess of UV light to filter, then the UV filter' only effective function is that it degrades image quality.

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic:

Tags
filter, lens hood, thread