DIY PVC Backdrop Stand?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 5883
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default DIY PVC Backdrop Stand?

I was thinking about making a collapsible PVC backdrop stand. It looks like PVC pipe is fairly inexpensive and seems like it would be sturdy enough to hold various types of backdrops yet light in weight making it portable.

I know you would have to get thick enough PVC so the poles don't bend.

Has anyone made one, saw one, or saw why making one doesn't work?

Yoda

My Shop: http://www.zibbet.com/TFlynnPhotography

My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tflynnphoto/
12step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009   #2
Dromedary

Default Re: DIY PVC Backdrop Stand?

Yeah sorry about that. I should of Googled it first there are apparently quite a few DIY "how to's" reference this.

Old 12-02-2009   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 113

I did make one modified from another plan. The plan I looked at called for gluing the PVC together and such. I didn't want to do that because I wanted it portable. I ended up with a simple, adjustable set. With various lengths of PVC, I can make it as tall as I want and as wide as I want. Obviously, if I make it too wide, it sags in the middle, but because the top pieces are adjustable, I can add another "leg" if necessary. I also drilled a hole in one of the top connecting pieces in order to put a backdrop light up there. I have a desk lamp with a long arm that's movable. I can position that to illuminate parts of the background.

Granted, all this would help with photos...perhaps I'll do that in the next few days. All-in-all, however, I've been happy with the PVC design so it's worth looking into.
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8
Sigma 2x teleconverter
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
18-55mm stock (came with the D50)
Nikkor 70-300mm
http://www.kaymeephotography.com
Sacramento Photography Examiner
drkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #4
Dromedary

Thanks man. I did find one online and will try to build it. I will also buy a little extra PVC. The one I found breaks down.

I will also post pics once I am done building it.

Old 12-02-2009   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 8903
Editing OK?: Yes

I made one, though I couldn't find pvc in my area so had to use abs. Its not the sturdiest but it works decently. I defintely plan on buying a real one in the future, but for now it works great.
moonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 90036
Editing OK?: No

When I first got back into photography last winter it was on the urging of my then girlfriend who wanted studio shots of her clothing designs.

I designed and build everything except the camera, a Nikon D90. I built the strobes, wireless triggers, stands, gobos, softboxes, reflectors etc. Since we were going to use a spare bedroom the gear needed to be easy to put away. That was easily taken care of by mounting strips of wood in a grid pattern on the ceiling that would be held in place by large thumb screws screwed into metal threaded inserts drilled into the concrete ceiling.
On the wood grid were dozens of floor flanges screwed on with wood screws and into the pipe fitting threads of the floor flanges various lengths of PVC pipe could be screwed in to give a stand hanging from any place needed in the room. That allowed putting the backdrop anywhere in the room to take advantage of the one southern facing window. Nothing was on the floor except my tripod and props if needed. Power cords and control cables are were suspended from the ceiling on hooks that had bungy cords acting as tensioners to keep everything neat and out of harms way. It all worked great but before it got used a lot we decided to stop living together and we only did a few session there. We are still close so we still do sessions but without the studio set up, more strobist style with speed lights, whatever I can bring in my backpack. She wants to set up the studio again but I doubt my new GF would appreciate my spending so many hours late at night with my ex modeling some her decidedly sexy clothes.....or without them. If we do set it up, it takes only 10 minutes to "build" the studio again, just get the PVC pipes out of storage and put the clamps and fittings on the light modifiers, backdrop etc.
Old 12-04-2009   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes

I have some frames I made for supporting heavy moving quilts that I sometimes use as acoustic treatments for location recording. I use 1/2" metal conduit and glued short pieces of schedule 10 PVC 1/2" pipe onto the ends of the conduit segments. I could then use 1/2" PVC fittings to make the connections. It is much sturdier than PVC pipe, yet the small diameter means I can put a lot of tubes and fittings in a fairly small bag.

The schedule 10 pipe is a perfect fit over the conduit - super-glue works well to secure the PVC in place.

The frame assembly in the photo was done with all short pipes for illustration. I have a selection of 1', 2', and 3' pipes that I can put together to build frames of just about any shape or size. All the materials - conduit, pipe, and fittings - are very cheap.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009   #8
KmH

CamelKarma:

Quote:
Originally Posted by proscospa View Post
Having to hike 2km to the camp site made me realize how much I would have appreciated a backpack that could accommodate both camera equipment AND camping equipment, since undoubtedly this won't be the last time we have to hike into the camp site. I don't really want to carry all the stuff by hand again LOL.
So how did the DIY PVC backdrop stand work out a the camp site?
Old 12-23-2009   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
So how did the DIY PVC backdrop stand work out a the camp site?
Smells like a certain canned meat we like to call... spam. Check out his sig. =)
Old 12-27-2009   #10
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Wow, very creative. I'll need to look into DIY backdrop.

Thanks!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: