Recommend a Tripod for Nikon D90?? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009   #11
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 901196
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Recommend a Tripod for Nikon D90??

Vanguard MG-1

cheers dirk

(my stable tripod for a D70 +70-300g and flash no problemsz)
Old 08-10-2009   #12
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 249974
Editing OK?: Yes

When it comes to tripods, I do not believe that Light, Inexpensive, and Sturdy can be used in the same sentence.

Light = unstable

Inexpensive = unstable

I have two, both Manfrotto's, both with ball heads.

One is lightweight, which I use for images that will take some hiking to get to, and one heavier which I use for images closer to the car.

I am not happy with the light weight one. When I put the camera on it, especially with a heavier lens, the camera drops out of the frame I wanted. With the heavier one, it does not.

Yes, the gear is heavy when I take it all, but the key is not to lightweight gear or leaving it home, the key is a backpack that will carry the gear and not "feel" heavy when you do it.

I have yet to see a backpack designed for camera gear that can do it well.

I do a lot of 6 to 9 day high elevation back country hikes. Even with food, I am under 30 lbs (add camera gear to that), all in. I do this with ultra lightweight gear (read, very expensive stuff). But the one thing I will NOT compromise weight on is the backpack.

I use an Arteryx Bora 50 (50ltrs) and nothing is strapped to the outside of the pack. The reason I use the Bora is that it has the best hip belt and aluminum stay I have used, tested, and seen.

They key is to moving the weight so your back does not get sore.

I put exactly the same thinking into my camera expeditions. If I have to carry it anymore than half an hour, I put the gear into my Bora.

Ya, it can be a bit finicky to get the camera and gear out as opposed to pack designed specifically for camera gear, but what happens is that you can pack more gear and it will seem lighter. And you do not want a pack to shift on you when your hand over hand scrambling up a 500 ft rock face.

I just bought a new Bora, and I am going to modify my old one to be a camera only bag this winter. It will be set up so I can get the cameras from the face of the bag, the tripod will be in the center compartment for weight distribution and I will still have enough room for day hiking gear.

The other thing is hiking boots. You absolutely need good boots. They have to fit, be comfortable and breath. Over the ankle and gortex.

The better the boot, the lighter the pack will feel, the lighter the pack, the better the boot will feel. It goes hand in hand.

I know a lot of people who will not take their good camera gear (read, heavy) because they think it is to heavy. I say that it is not the gear, it is the bag and what is on your feet.

In summary, good bag + good boots = heavier tripod, which will equal better images.

My Website

My blog
All my images are anadianRocky
CanadianRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #13
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1606297

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post
When it comes to tripods, I do not believe that Light, Inexpensive, and Sturdy can be used in the same sentence.

Light = unstable

Inexpensive = unstable

In summary, good bag + good boots = heavier tripod, which will equal better images.
So I agree. Carbon graphite has changed allot over the past 10 years to really try to accomplish just that. With Carbon tripods you have something that is more sturdy then aluminum but actaully lighter. In fact now they are trying to make a comercial airplane out of the stuff! If you want it you will have to pay for it.

In terms of weight....So I checked out a cheap light tripod and it weighs in at 5lbs. A full sized carbon Gitzo weights in at just under 7lbs. So the question is....is the two extra pounds worth it? I would rather leave behind some extra equipment then to take a cheaper tripod. I have used them and they quickly begin to fail. The leg locking system is usually the first to go.
BovrilArg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #14
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 384

I am new to this forum, in fact this is my first post. I have a D90 with the 18-200mm lens and have been looking for the past few days for a good tripod, head, and plate combination. I tend to be an semi-impulsive buyer once I have done a reasonable amount of research to determine what is acceptable from unacceptable.

I have settled on a used, but in very good condition, Gitzo 1325. I bought a new Markins M20 head and a Kirk L-bracket. I welcome any comments and suggestions.
Lights:
SB-900 (x4), Elinchrom
Legs: Gitzo G1325 w/BH-55, Feisol CT-3441S w/CB-40D, Feisol CM-1471
Mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009   #15
dgs
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 359

Take if from someone who learned the hard way. Cheap, is not the way to go. If you are like me, It would be hard to replace your body and lens. Accidents do happen. It is cheaper to buy the better one first, rather than have broken equipment, and then buy what you should have the first time, and loose what you had.
Old 08-23-2009   #16
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

From a recent post on the same subject. Link

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010   #17
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I don't think that you really have to break the bank to get a good tripod and head.

At first I was skeptical but the Flashpoint F-1228 turns out to be a very good carbon fiber tripod from Adorama that doesn't cost a lot. I think it is currently around $180.00. Study and light. Another key is not to skimp on the head. I'm using a Manfrotto 322RC2 that is very nice. I just read about the new Manfrotto 327RC2 pistol grip head that looks even nicer. The 322RC2 was around $140.00. I'm not sure of the price on the 327RC2. I just got a Nikon D90 and look forward to starting to do some HDR images with it. I have been using a Nikon D70 and D50 with the tripod up till now.
similler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 36

I would purchase a carbon fiber Gitzo tripod. These tripods are both lightweight and stable--but they're expensive. You get what you pay for in tripod purchases.

Dennis Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: