3rd Party Flash Units
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 10818
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 3rd Party Flash Units

I'm in need of a flash, and have been looking at the ones on E-Bay, ya know the cheap off-brand ones

I am looking for any 1st hand experience with 3rd party flashes, equivelant to a Canon 430 and 580 unit.

Thanks

motox424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 3876
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: 3rd Party Flash Units

Scott,

Welcome to the Camel.

Trouble is it all depends on what you have in mind for shooting situations and also how much money your willing to spend.

At the currant time, I am using my very old Vivatar 283 external Flash for my Nikon D80. As these older flashes never had any kind of computer chip involved I had to get an adapter with a Capacitor to insulate the Camera so this Flash can be used (Cheap, its not a big deal and you can get these in any Photo Shop). There are a lot of companies out there and that also includes the many older Flashes that people have lying around and are willing to sell. Cheap................

Nikon D700
Nikon D80 w/Kit 18-135
Nikon 70-300 VR f:4.5-5.6
Nikon 60mm f:2.8 Macro
Sigma 24-70 f:2.8 DG DF Aspherical
Old Vivitar 283, Nikon SB900
Manfrotto Tripod 055XB w/Manfrotto 486 RC2 Ball Head
Not4wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Cheap flash unit...

I am not sure what you mean by "cheap". However, a used Canon 420EX flash unit can be had for $90-$130 and is an excellent full featured flash for Canon Cameras.

The 420EX will not only give you good exposure control but, has another feature which I find invaluable: High-Speed Flash!

I use my 420EX frequently as fill flash in outdoor shots. The High-Speed capability allows me to shoot at any shutter speed. I am not required to shoot at 1/250 second or lower. This capability allows me not to have to worry about my shutter speed going over the 1/250 second maximum.

If you ever want to upgrade, the 420EX can be used as a slave with a 550EX or 580EX unit.

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008   #4
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 3876
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: 3rd Party Flash Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not4wood View Post
As these older flashes never had any kind of computer chip involved I had to get an adapter with a Capacitor to insulate the Camera so this Flash can be used (Cheap, its not a big deal and you can get these in any Photo Shop). There are a lot of companies out there and that also includes the many older Flashes that people have lying around and are willing to sell. Cheap................
I'm sorry, if your referring to my comment I used cheap twice. The first time for the price of the external capacitor to protect the camera from the high power of the older Flashes. This is about $9-$15 USD and the older used Flashes people have around might be able to be picked up at Garage Sales. So this would be cheap as well.

Not4wood
My Flickr Portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30920268@N06/show/

Nikon D700
Nikon D80 w/Kit 18-135
Nikon 70-300 VR f:4.5-5.6
Nikon 60mm f:2.8 Macro
Sigma 24-70 f:2.8 DG DF Aspherical
Old Vivitar 283, Nikon SB900
Manfrotto Tripod 055XB w/Manfrotto 486 RC2 Ball Head
Not4wood is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: