Small backpack for 13" laptop, slr, lenses
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Small backpack for 13" laptop, slr, lenses

Compact laptop/ slr camera bag.
- Backpack style.
- To hold 13" laptop, slr, 2-3 lenses.
- I have to be able to carry it on a plane, i.e. 22"x15"x9" or smaller.
- Rain-resistant.

Candidates:-
Tamrac Adventure 9
Lowepro Fastpac 250
Tenba Gen-3 Backpack (small)
CaseLogic SLR/Laptop Bag SLRC-4

Hi, all!

I'm trying to figure out the next stage of my camera-bag evolution...

I currently use a (wonderful) Mambo S vertical shoulder bag to carry my 13" laptop, and a small Canon-branded shoulder bag to (snugly) hold my SLR and three lenses.

I hope to replace those two bags with a single backpack, for both my photo equipment and my laptop, that will be small enough to carry around daily and to use as a carry-on bag when I'm flying.

Smaller is better than larger, but I would like it if the bag had room for e.g. chargers and cables.

I'd really prefer that the laptop compartment be padded, without my needing to use an additional sleeve for protection.

I don't plan to be hiking in storm weather with this bag, but I might be rained on, and it's nice not to have to worry that I'll lose thousands of dollars in equipment to a light shower.

I've looked at several bags online, and my current two favourites are the Lowepro Fastpack 250, and the Tenba Gen-3 Backpack (small).

Has anyone used these bags- especially the Tenba? I haven't found any reviews for it online.

And am I missing any other stellar alternatives?

Thanks in advance...

adrian

Old 08-09-2008   #2
Jon
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 56
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Small backpack for 13" laptop, slr, lenses

I have the Tamrac Pro-9 (now called simply the 759 - tamrac.com/759.htm). It might be bigger than what you want, but it's carry-on sized, it's been rained on (but not in), and has plenty of growing room. It's also plenty comfy with two bodies, four heavy-glass lenses, two flashes, an iBook, a small camcorder and "stuff." I also have a sling bag from Tamrac. I highly recommend Tamrac pretty much in general.
Old 08-09-2008   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 12422
Editing OK?: Yes

adrian, if you can, look at one of the Tamrac Expedition 5x or 6x back packs. They may be just the ticket for you.

Ron

Sony A700; Sony f36A & Sony F42A; KM 28-75; Sony 100 macro; Sony 18-250; Tamron 70-300; Tamron 200-500mm; Minolta 50 f1.7, Canon s90
ront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008   #4
Alpaca

Thanks for the replies thus far... I am really impressed with the Tamracs.

Has anyone used the Tenba? It looks good, but I can't find any reviews online...
guttaperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 42
Editing OK?: Yes

I just came back from a trip using the Think Tank Airport Antidote, and overall I'd have to say I'm very pleased with the bag. It's very well made, comes with a ton of dividers, has a removable laptop case for up to a 15" laptop and fits the overhead on any jet, including CRJ's. I didn't have a chance to try out the raincover so can't comment but it made a very easy carry.

Don't expect to take it out as a hiking bag. Although it has a waist belt and chin strap, it's not the most comfortable backpack I've ever worn. But for the trip from the parking lot to Concourse D, it's definitely OK. If you're into hiking a few miles into the boonies I'd suggest you look further.

I carried: 13" iBook/charger/card reader, D200, D300, 17-35, 28-70, 70-200, SB800, 4x6 filters and holder, Arca Z-1 head, cable release, UV and C-PL filters, Canon 500D, lens cleaner, rocket blower, batteries, CF cards and other misc stuff. Total weight was around 25 lb. and it was a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be.

I never got a second look when boarding the CRJ's.

TTP makes some great products, check them out.

Bill
"The doctor told how he was once fishing in the Wind River area of Wyoming and he looked up and far above on the side of the canyon two dogs sat on a rock peeking at him from the brush that surrounded the rock. Only they weren't dogs, they were coyotes. They were curious about what he might be doing standing in a river waving a stick." Jim Harrison, Farmer
http://billg71.smugmug.com/
billg71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #6
Alpaca

Hey, everyone...

I actually haven't bought a bag yet, but the wife's travelling to Atlanta shortly, so I'll get her to get one then.

I'm now leaning strongly in the direction of a tiny Kata R-101 for daily use.

I may eventually get the (larger) Tamrac Adventure 9 as well for trips that require more non-camera stuff than the Tenba holds.
Old 12-12-2008   #7
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 20
Editing OK?: No

I have a Tenba Shootout Mini which does not have a laptop slot like the Shootout Small and larger. I can tell you the quality, features and layout of my Tenba is excellent. Someone mentioned Think Tank and I have one of their larger rolling bags which is also excellent. Think Tank just announced 3 or 4 new backpacks you may want to check out. I've never owned a Tamrac or Kata but highly recommend Tenba and Think Tank. Good luck.
sailfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #8
Alpaca

Thanks for the replies!

I just ordered a Kata DR-467 today, we'll see how I find it!
Old 05-25-2009   #9
Alpaca

The Kata DR-467 is an absolutely fabulous bag. I use it daily!
Old 05-28-2009   #10
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 331829
Thumbs up Re: Small backpack for 13" laptop, slr, lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttaperk View Post
The Kata DR-467 is an absolutely fabulous bag. I use it daily!
Agreed. I got one as a gift recently, and am very impressed by its design and how well made it is.

AZFred
yendikeno is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: