Tripods...
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 978
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Tripods...

I would like to see what kind of tripods everyone is using. I know it is kind of a "go w/ what you like" topic, but I was just wondering if there are any brands I should steer clear of or one that is so great and wonderful that I should know all about already??

I'll need to be getting one soon that has to be pretty durable and can still hold my camera up when in the locked position!! (no offense to Walmart tripods I bought back when I was 13 in my first official photo class!!)

Old 03-08-2006   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Tripods...

I have a Gitzo 1325 CF tripod with a ballhead (BH-55) and also have a gimbal mount head for longer lenses. I like it because it is very stable, lightweight considering the load it is capable of carrying, and well built. It doesn't have a center column which is not a major issue most of the time, but when I do macro work or other work where I want the camera positioned differently than I can get without tweaking the legs awkardly, I fee a desire to buy a 2nd tripod with a versitile center column. I am considering one of the new Bogen's (I think it's the 55, but can't really recall) as an additional (not replacement) tripod.
Old 03-08-2006   #3
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 978

Thanks for the feedback. How much do the Bogen's run?
Old 03-08-2006   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No

Bogen's are the sister company to Gitzo. The price is lower than Gitzo, but the quality doesn't suffer. Prices vary depending on what you're looking for. A good aluminum pod like the 3021 pro runs between $100-150, I believe. The newer carbon fiber mags, run in the $300 range. I'm guessing at the prices, but I think I'm fairly close.
Old 03-08-2006   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

In my book, nothing compares to Gitzo. I've been using the same Gitzo 320 for almost 20 years and it's still slick and easy. They cost a bundle, but once you have one you're set, you don't even have to think about camera support as long as you don't forget it. I bought a quick release, Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead with the 320 and the same goes for it. Works as well as the day I bought it, no slips, no dips... just rock stable.

I've put that setup through all sorts of dirt, sand, saltwater, rock banging, swamp muck... some of the best money I ever spent on photography.

Chip
Old 03-08-2006   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544

I've been using a Slik 330DX Pro myself. A lot less expensive than the Manfrotto/Bogen models but still sturdy enough to keep my little Coolpix steady.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

After trying Bogen and several other brands, I settled on Gitzo exclusively. I agree with Chip: these pods cost a bundle, but they just work. I keep one of mine in the trunk of my car. It freezes, it boils. It still works.
Old 03-17-2006   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15

1) A very old very heavy very big aluminum Bogen
2) A very old very heavy very big wooden Eastman Crown Graphic
3) A Manfrotto Neotec (458B)
4) A Gitzo 1327
regards<br />Mike Parker<br />Frederick, MD<br /><br />Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Nikon D1x (x2), D70; Sigma EX 12-24, 24-60, 150 Macro, 400 Telemacro; Nikkor AF 50/1.8, 105 DC,* 180/2.8, AF 300/
cameraguy21773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006   #9
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraguy21773
1) A very old very heavy very big aluminum Bogen
2) A very old very heavy very big wooden Eastman Crown Graphic
3) A Manfrotto Neotec (458B)
4) A Gitzo 1327
That reminds me, The Gitzos are my location tripods. In the studio I use this big old monster of a Majestic tripod with crank head and column. It's a beast and not as versatile as a stand but it does what I need.

Chip
Old 03-24-2006   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by B
That reminds me, The Gitzos are my location tripods. In the studio I use this big old monster of a Majestic tripod with crank head and column. It's a beast and not as versatile as a stand but it does what I need.

Chip
WOW have not heard Majestic in years ... damn those are beasts

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: