Tripods... - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2006   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Tripods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeorge
WOW have not heard Majestic in years ... damn those are beasts
It's the truth, probably weighs 25 or 30 pounds dry with a gearlift and gear head. I'd rather have a stand but for the money and space, it does most of what I need it to. A bogen 3156 caster assembly fits it nicely so I can move it incrementally with ease and then lock it down.

Bencher still makes the heads but the tripods they label as Majestic are very 'Bencher-like'.

I love it, rock stable with gear lift and tilt, good studio tool.

Chip
Old 03-24-2006   #12
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes

Not sure of any that you should steer clear of (though I once had a dreadful experience with a cheapo Slik tripod). I love my Manfrotto 441 Carbon One tripod. Very stable and light. Was also going for a very good price in the UK at the time (around $180). I'm sure there are better options available but I don't have any issues so refuse to look. I'm much more concerned about getting a better head.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #13
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 24

I use a Gitzo 1325 with a RRS BH-55 and add a Wimberley Sidekick when needed. This is a fairly common combo.
The best tripod advice I've ever found is the oft cited article by Thom Hogan ... http://www.bythom.com/support.htm.
Don't mess around. Save and go for the best model you think you'll ever need in terms of load bearing, size, weight, and stability.
Old 03-25-2006   #14
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 13

I use a Manfrotto 055P with the 029 head, this suits my 4x5 and MF. I really do need a ball head for 35mm, but its a format I use less and less. I've previously used an original Benbo MK1, very configurable but not as rigid as the 055P. Eventually a leg fell off, it was welded, then the weld broke at a crucial time. I've also had a Velbon tripod fall apart on me after little use.
Old 03-26-2006   #15
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11

I did exactly what Thom Hogan mentioned. Spent several hundred $ on lesser stuff, which I either sold or gave away. I now have two Gitzo's and two Arca Swiss ball heads. No matter, if you are serious about photography, you will eventually end up with a premium quality tripod and ball head. Go ahead and buy the best and bypass the introductary stuff.
Old 03-27-2006   #16
src
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11

I use a Manfrotto 055 Pro with the 488 RC2 Head..... Solid set-up..... I too keep it in my car all the time... Cooks during the summer and freezes all winter...
Old 03-27-2006   #17
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 1072357
Editing OK?: Ask first

Berleback
I like the wood to absorb shock. Less vibration. Heck it is just plain pretty.
Leehman
Old 03-27-2006   #18
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676

its Berlebach.

lets see its wood, so it looks cool, doesnt carry heat or cold as much as metal. has natural dampening. just as light. costs a little less metal tripods, and mine holds 22 pounds. hard to top. lifetime warranty.

http://www.berlebach.de/e_index.php

but get a ball head not a pan head like me.

Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #19
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439

I'm using a Manfrotto / Bogen 3021 BPRO tripod legs with a short center column (*I do have the longer one as well). For a tripod head I'm using the Markins M10 L ball head. (Darn near the best ball head I've ever used).

Julio
Old 04-01-2006   #20
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

I'd love a wooden tripod. I just like the look and feel of them. My carbon fibre tripod is just plain ugly. I'd always imagined wood would be a lot heavier - interesting that it isn't.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: