I need a carry-on backpack with rollers
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default I need a carry-on backpack with rollers

I seldom travel by plane and do most of my traveling by motorhome so, the size, weight of my camera bags usually doesn't really matter. However, I am going on a ten-day trip to the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska and want/need a larger (carry-on legal) backpack than I have (I have the Lowepro Mini-Trekker) and that backpack must have wheels.

Since I so seldom use a large case to carry a bunch of equipment, I do not want to need to sell the farm in order to buy the pack. However, it still should be of reasonable quality and be able to survive a few trips as carry on luggage.

I plan on carrying 2 bodies (30D and350D with battery grip on the 350D), three lenses (17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 70-200mm f/4L IS and 300mm f/4L IS with 1.4x TC). I also plan on taking either my 420ex or 550ex flash (depending on which will fit) and the normal assortment of batteries, CF cards and other small accessories such as CPL filters.

This backpack caught my eye because it seems to fit my criteria for size (44" total dimensions (height+width+depth) which is larger than the Mini-Trekker but still carry-on legal), wheels and a pretty inexpensive price.

Square Perfect SP1700

NEW ROLLING CAMERA CASE BACKPACK DIGITAL PHOTO VIDEO - eBay (item 270232112227 end time May-05-08 20:01:05 PDT)

I don't plan on filling the outside pockets during the flight because this would probably increase the size beyond carry-on limits.

If anyone knows of a similar case (preferably in the sub-$100 range) that might fit my criteria - I'd be happy to learn of it.

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Default Re: I need a carry-on backpack with rollers

A backpack with wheels kind of defeats the backpack idea, I'd say.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008   #3
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
A backpack with wheels kind of defeats the backpack idea, I'd say.
I would think that the backpack sty;le with wheels is pretty adaptible. I could either wheel it or carry it.

However, I would have no objection to considering a rolling bag that is not a backpack style - as long as it is a decent size (just under 45" total dimensions) and doesn't cost a fortune.

I don't anticipate putting this bag/case to great and extended use and don't want to pay over $100 (preferably a bit less).

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
Old 04-27-2008   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpcrowe View Post
I would think that the backpack sty;le with wheels is pretty adaptible. I could either wheel it or carry it.

However, I would have no objection to considering a rolling bag that is not a backpack style - as long as it is a decent size (just under 45" total dimensions) and doesn't cost a fortune.

I don't anticipate putting this bag/case to great and extended use and don't want to pay over $100 (preferably a bit less).
I think your price point is going to be the most difficult aspect of your search.

I've seen backpacks with rollers (although I tend to agree with Mr. P on their usefulness) but not for less than $100. I'm not sure I've even seen them for less than $200 but I haven't paid that much attention. It's still a rather specialized product.

There is no reason why a normal roller bag couldn't work, though. I'd take a standard carry-on roller bag, use clothes and dividers from my other bags, and tuck it all in the regular bag. Then I'd take a smaller camera bag for on location (I use a Tamrac MAS system that is modular to add/subtract as needed). In some cases, I simply back my Tamrac inside a roller bag for transport.
Old 04-27-2008   #5
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
I simply back my Tamrac inside a roller bag for transport.
That is a simple solution to a complex problem... Thank you. I have just the roller suitcase that would work!

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
Old 05-16-2008   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1295
Editing OK?: Yes

heres what i did. went to a Goodwill ( thrift) store bought a suitcase ( you can get a hardcase or flexible) i chose flexible,with rollers and an adjustable handle for $5. then went to a craft store and bought a sheet of foam rubber it comes in different thicknesses and cut to fit inside. layed out all my gear to arrange it,marked it,cut it out. also bought a 1" thick piece to lay over top. works fantanstic for about $8. even has pockets inside for cards, batteries cables,etc. pockets on outside for release forms and such.

P.S. i also use one of my softball batpacks to carry just the minimum i need if walking might tricky. it will fit inside case.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: