Y Strap - Camera Strap
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Y Strap - Camera Strap

This thing looks kind of silly, but for a lot of cameras, it might really be a great piece of gear...

Y STRAP The Figital Revolution

They also make the tripod alternative...
THE NO POD The Figital Revolution

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 788
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Y Strap - Camera Strap

Man, quit spending my money! That looks pretty cool, and is one of those, "why didn't I think of that" items. Now I need one of those too. The No Pod is cool too. I wonder of it comes with the Leica attached?

Bob
Latinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #3
Administrator

For Leica, or Pentax 110's or stuff like that, you bet it makes sense and is probably worth it...

Old 04-01-2008   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673

I can see it for smaller rigs but a Nikon D300 with 70-200 or Canon 1D/40D+grip with 70-200 might be a bit awkward for it.

I like his videos, though. Nice effort to sell and teach with his product.
Old 04-01-2008   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31177

Made in vermont I see!!!

LOL...KINDA COOL!!

Garren
What if everything around you, Isn't quite as it seems? What if all the world you used to know, Is an elaborate dream? And if you look at your reflection, Is it all you want it to be? What if you could look right through the cracks, Would you find yourself, Find yourself afraid to see? ~Trent Reznor~

My Website
My Gallery
My Blog
Garren
garrentee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #6
Jon
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 56
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
I can see it for smaller rigs but a Nikon D300 with 70-200 or Canon 1D/40D+grip with 70-200 might be a bit awkward for it.

That's why someone else makes a better one.
Old 04-02-2008   #7
Administrator

I do not think the R Strap is better. It appears to be designed to handle DSLR's better, but functionality-wise, they accomplish the same thing...and the R-Strap cost more too.

Old 04-02-2008   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
I do not think the R Strap is better. It appears to be designed to handle DSLR's better, but functionality-wise, they accomplish the same thing...and the R-Strap cost more too.
Between the two, the R-strap makes more sense to me. The weight is behind me rather than on my side. It's designed for right-handers and doesn't require a cross body draw. It uses a more stable connection point, too, since the threads on a tripod mount will easily handle the most accessory laden camera.
Old 04-02-2008   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 20

Hello- just a few comments that I wanted to make:

1. The Y Strap will carry any camera (including the larger ones like a d2X with a lens...I have many photographers using this configuration) comfortably. Whether you carry the camera on your side or slightly behind or in front of you is your choice and will be determined by your shooting style.
2. Personally (my opinion) I worry about carrying my camera from a point that can loosen (ie the tripod socket).
3. I hate quick releases that connect to my camera...murphy's law. Also I chose the smallest possible connection device as to mimize the possible contact with the camera...ie I don't want scratches.
4. The R Strap I am sure is a good camera strap, with several differences from the Y Strap. I of course like my Y Strap but... you should only buy what works for you.

I am an active working photographer who developed the Y Strap and The NO POD for my own works and I've been very pleased to see the positive response I've been getting so far from users. Each Y Strap is individually handmade by me at my studio in Vermont with a philosophy of simplicity of design and quality of materials.

However, even if neither strap works for you, I still hope you'll stop in a check out the articles I post on The Figital Revolution and keep the dialogue going.

Best-
Stephen Schaub

figitalrevolution.com
ystrap.com
thenopod.com
indianhillimageworks.com
Figital Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
Between the two, the R-strap makes more sense to me. The weight is behind me rather than on my side.
Wouldn't the camera technically be "behind you" too? It looks that way in his video. I'm not too sure I want my DSLR dangling a bit behind my back in certain situations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figital Revolution View Post
The Y Strap will carry any camera (including the larger ones like a d2X with a lens...I have many photographers using this configuration) comfortably. Whether you carry the camera on your side or slightly behind or in front of you is your choice and will be determined by your shooting style.
Good to know. It was apparent in the video. Of course, the other product might be overkill for a P&S? And it won't work on a camera body with no tripod connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figital Revolution View Post
Personally (my opinion) I worry about carrying my camera from a point that can loosen (ie the tripod socket).
I'm 10% concerned with that when my quick release plate is on there, because the D-loop ring is recessed. But if the other strap was connected to it (saving the cost of the tripod connector), then it wouldn't be recessed anymore. The tripod connector of the other one is a geared looking star wheel, so it could loosen itself a notch or two by hitting something? never know.

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: