How do you carry yours?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default How do you carry yours?

Hi

I normally carry my photo kit in a backpack and my tripod in my hand, I was wondering if anyone had an easier / better / more convenient way of carrying a tripod whilst wearing a backpack?

All decent suggestions welcome.

Regards ... Colin

Old 03-10-2008   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 118
Default Re: How do you carry yours?

Manfrotto sell tripod bags...just Google.
HTH
Numpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes

...my backpacks and hipbag (LowePro, TamRac) all have a tripod carrying contraption ...

...apart from a tripod bag, some manufacturers also sell tripod straps, that you can hook up to your tripod so you can carry it over your shoulder (like a rifle)...

...€0.02...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 87653
Editing OK?: Yes

Tripod bag with shoulder strap from Ritz Camera. $14.95

Comments and suggestions always appreciated.
Gear: Nikon D800, D7000, D90, Canon G12, Canon G9 IR.

http://russell132.wix.com/rsandersphotography#!Home/mainPage
azrussell132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

I usually carry it in my hand, or in the little really thin bag that came with the tripod.

Of course, I rarely shoot with a tripod, and when I do it is usually with much less kit than usual- i.e. one 120 or 135 format SLR attached to Arca-Swiss type plate with one lens, so I basically have nothing else on me. Also, my tripod and head combination is small and light, so a casual one-handed grip isn't out of the question.

I do intend to add one of these to my collection eventually, as I played with it at the store and was most impressed, but it's not a pressing need. They make larger sizes for larger tripods and light stands, but the one of those larger containers costs more than both of my light stands.
Old 03-30-2008   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Tripod Strap

I use a strap to carry my tripod when shooting. I like to be able to get the tripod out of the way when I am not using it. This is especially important since I replaced my 70-200mm f/4L non-IS lens with the IS model since I can hand-hold this new lens with a greater degree of certainty that my shots will be sharp.

Actually, you don't need a "true" tripod strap. Just use a strip of 1" nylon material with a loop tied at each end (or a "D" ring sewn into each end if you want to be fancy). You can then use the first loops (or "D" rings) to make loops (like the loop of a lasso) at each end to go around your tripod head and legs.

I do have a tripod case (supplied with my Giottos tripod) in which I store my tripod. However, I carry it either over my shoulder or with a strap.

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #7
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 55
Editing OK?: Ask First

In addition to the backpack with cam, flash gun, lenses, and loose gear, I have a gym bag with 3 tripods, and 2 flash guns, and 2 Lastolite reflectors folded up in their own covers, in the back of my car.
Alfred D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Domke.
Old 04-05-2008   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 39

I have a monfrotto that came with a bag - I can also get my monopod in this and strap it over my shoulder on at the bottom of my bag.

The world is like a ride in an amusement park and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and around and around and it has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud. And it's fun - for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question; is this real? Or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, and they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because... this is just a ride." - BILL HICKS. (16 DECEMBER 1961 - 26 FEBRUARY 1994)
Aardvark101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008   #10
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 79

I've recently upgraded my backpack to a Glass Taxi by Think Tank, and now carry the tripod on the side of the pack with ease. Previously I used the Lowepro Micro Trekker, and carried the tripod on the side of the pack with a great deal of difficulty, discomfort, and diatribes.

play work gallery opinions
keepright is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: