Why would you NOT use a lens hood - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008   #31
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Why would you NOT use a lens hood

I do a little trick when I'm shooting. I set all the lens hoods in the ready position, and place them in the lens tray face down. This way I can change while I'm shooting. Obviously, you need a reporter style bag like my Domke "a little bit smaller" bag:

Old 03-08-2008   #32
Llama

CamelKarma: 229974
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
I do a little trick when I'm shooting. I set all the lens hoods in the ready position, and place them in the lens tray face down. This way I can change while I'm shooting. Obviously, you need a reporter style bag like my Domke "a little bit smaller" bag:
Domke bags are the best. I've owned two for the last 20 years. May have to replace one of them soon. It's starting to rip on the bottom.
Old 03-08-2008   #33
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Duct Tape!!!!
Old 03-08-2008   #34
Llama

CamelKarma: 229974
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
Duct Tape!!!!
Good idea, then I can probably get another 10 years out of it. 30 Years from one camera bag, that comes out to about $2.00 - $2.50 per year at 1986 prices.
Old 03-08-2008   #35
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 5841
Editing OK?: Yes

In addition to the protection mentioned above, a lens hood can provide a subtle improvement in the quality of your image. Even if you don't see any flare from your lights or the sun, any subtle flare can cause a loss of contrast in your image.

I never leave home without the hoods for the lenses that I am carrying.
Old 03-09-2008   #36
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 153
Editing OK?: Ask First

Always have the hoods on, but man that 24-70 canon hood is a monster. I don't have too much trouble rotating my Circ Polarizer with the hood on as long as I set it to 24mm first.
evoryware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #37
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1993

Most lens hoods just don't do their job. They often act more as a lens "protector" than a sun shield. I shoot from a tripod. If there is a chance for flare, I will stand along side my rig, with cable release in hand, and let my body shadow cover the lens. Best sun shield going.
michaelhcothran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #38
Russ Holmes

CamelKarma: 1583

The hoods also protect the lens when the camera "somehow" falls off the tripod at shoulder height and hits the concrete. (Not that I would know)

BTW, I use mine about 99% of the time.

Web - http://www.focusingonflorida.com
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/russellholmesphotography

editing allowed, comments always welcome!
FocusingOnFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #39
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2230

I can't believe I am the only person not using lens hoods all the time so maybe I am the only one willing to admit it. I have 3 Canon lenses the 28-135, 10-22, & 100-400 and of course the 100-400 is the only one that came with a hood. If I had hoods I would use them but you can't use what you don't have and though I have looked at some hoods I have never ordered any yet.

I think that of the millions of lenses sold each year only a very small percentage are used with a lens hood. My guess would be that most people either don't know what a lens hood is or don't know why they should be used.
Old 03-13-2008   #40
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439

I can't tell you how many people I see that are taking pictures with the lens hood on backwards. Some don't even know that you can turn them around and use them for something.

I'm not kidding. I've mentioned this to more than one mom or dad on vacation or wherever I might catch them with a lens hood reversed on the lens. I can't tell you how many people don't realize it can come off and be turned around on the lens.

I use my lens hoods, all the time, indoors or out, on the lenses.

Julio

Nikonfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: