Why would you NOT use a lens hood - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008   #21
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 185474
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Why would you NOT use a lens hood

I have to leave the hood off when I use the CP with the bayonet mounted hoods.
Thunder_o_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #22
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

I don't use lens hoods when they're not allowed in the venue.

NBA and Division I college ball had banned the use of metal and plastic lens hoods some years back, only allowing rubber hoods, which many did not and do not own, but they've relaxed the rules recently, and now it's up to the venue to determine what is allowed.

Guess Rodman's not falling over everyone any more...
Old 02-29-2008   #23
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Smith View Post
No: UV or CP filters (never stack filters) are not impeded by a hood. Cokin-type filters and filter holders and hoods don't work together well, but with digital you don't need those physical filters, because you can add 98% of those filter effects in post production (and that also saves you a lot of time, hassle and fidgeting with them on location!).
There are several effects of a polarizer that cannot be reproduced in post processing... It's one filter that really needs to be a real filter to work. You can't remove reflections from a store window or water to reveal the detail behind in post because the information simply isn't there. You can't reduce haze to see whats behind it as well either...

For coloring filters etc yeah you can but even then proper use of a GND filter is a lot easier than combining multiple frames to get proper exposure later. On the other hand you can fine tune the combination in that case when done digitally.

Just my 2 cents but IMHO it's always better to take the picture right in the first place than to rely on fixing it later. You still may have to, just less. A lot of that seems to have gotten lost in the "Digital Age" for some reason.

That being said, I use hoods when they are needed (or likely to be needed) to block the sun and using my hand to do so is difficult (holding a longer lens for example).

jfeenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #24
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgermany View Post

J Francho, your comments about consumer grade lenses not being supplied with lens hoods applies to most Canon L lenses - they're a paid for extra.
Looks like you've been suckered, kev . . .
W.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #25
Llama

CamelKarma: 229974
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
My thought is that many are using consumer grade lenses that do not come with them, and do not buy the hood, or feel they are an inconvenience.
I just purchased a consumer grade Nikon 80-200 F2.8 that didn't come with a hood. I ended up buying the hood because it makes the lens look way cool.
Old 02-29-2008   #26
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

I hate the way the hoods look, but you gotta use them, no matter how much you paid for the lens. One thing to note, some of the hoods on 3rd party lenses really do not do a good job at at providing full protection.
Old 02-29-2008   #27
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

Quote:
One thing to note, some of the hoods on 3rd party lenses really do not do a good job at at providing full protection.
And even some of the non-third party lenses also do a pretty bad job at providing full protection. See the Nikon 12-24/17-35 hood, for example.
Old 02-29-2008   #28
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

That's true, Canon's 17-40 hood is ridiculous on a crop camera. Luckily there is an upgrade. If you think about it, no EF lens has the correctly sized hood when mounted on a crop body, considering the FOV.
Old 03-01-2008   #29
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787
Default My 50+ years with hoods...

First let me say that I agree with all the above posters who state that they always use hoods with the exception of "special circumstances". I use hoods with all my lenses except one. The lens that remains hood less is my 90mm f/2.8 Tamron Macro. I do not use a hood with this lens because the front element is recessed far enough back that the forward portion of the lens barrel actually becomes a hood. Using a hood on this lens is not necessary for protection from flare and damage.

Hoods have saved my lenses from some serious trauma in the past on many occasions. The most recent episode was when I fell forward onto concrete last October and my 30d with 24-70mm f/2.8L which was equipped with a screw-in metal hood received the full force of my 220 pound body against the concrete walkway. The hood was toast and actually broke (it received the impact and the breaking absorbed the force just like carbon fiber racing cars will absorb the force of an accident by breaking apart). Except for the loss of an eight dollar (or so) hood, there was no damage to my gear. I don't know if my equipment would have survived so cleanly if I had been using an OEM hood but I know that there would have been significant damage to the lens if I had been shooting hood-less.

I utilize round metal screw-in hoods for all of my many lenses except for the 90mm Tamron (mentioned above) and my two wide lenses (12-24mm f/4 Tokina and Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS) because those lenses vignette at wide angles when using the round hood. I use the OEM hoods for these two lenses and I appreciate that Tokina provides a hood as part of the lens package which Canon does not - on most of their non-L lenses.

Here are my comments to an above post. I have noted where my round hoods are advantageous.

Originally Posted by kevgermany
They get in the way and increase bulk.

"Not if you use the proper 'travel mode' and put the hood on backwards when not shooting."

I agree with this statement but can modify it a bit concerning round hoods. The OEM hoods are big and bulky and take up space even when reversed for travel (although they certainly take up less space that way). Round metal screw-in hoods are smaller and less bulky. Although, they can also be reversed for travel, I normally leave these hoods attached to the lenses when I am out shooting even when the camera/lens is in my bag. I normally do not switch lenses while I am shooting. Instead I carry two or more cameras. I will carry my 70-200mm f/4L IS lens in a holster case at my left side. The camera is equipped with a hand strap and has the screw-in metal hood attached. Instead of a lens cap - I protect the front element with an OPTECH Hood Hat. Hood Hat | Demo Page
I can open the holster, slip my hand into the hand strap and pull off the Hood Hat quicker than I can write about it. I missed one VERY VIVID AND IMPORTANT image, during my time as a combat cameraman in Vietnam, because I could not get my camera into action fast enough and vowed never to let that happen again.

They affect your use of filters.

"No: UV or CP filters (never stack filters) are not impeded by a hood. Cokin-type filters and filter holders and hoods don't work together well, but with digital you don't need those physical filters, because you can add 98% of those filter effects in post production (and that also saves you a lot of time, hassle and fidgeting with them on location!)."

I generally agree with this statement but, will comment that a screw-in filter allows the use of a CPL filter because you simply rotate the entire hood to rotate the filter. Except in areas that pose an extreme danger to my lens such as salt spray and blowing debris (when I will use a UV filter as protection) the CPL is just about the only filter I use. I will very occasionally use a GND but don't really like using it.

Can slow you down if you fit to lens reversed to save space.

"So anticipate! Think ahead: if you might want to shoot at an instant's notice you need to switch on your cam in anticipation anyway. That is also the moment you should fix the hood (correctly)."

See my comments above regarding using my 70-200mm f/4L IS lens.

Many times you don't need them, so given the cons, why not leave it off, unless you need it. Even then you can often shield the lens with a spare hand.

"Hoods are useful on a lens. They are useless in the bag.
Shielding with a spare hand means compromising camera stability!"

In addition to comprising stability when attempting to shield the lens with your hand, you can only shield the lens from rays coming from one direction. If you are shooting in an area that has a reflective surface (water, snow, large windows, shiny metal) rays of light will be attacking your lens for multiple directions. The hand cannot shield the lens from all directions.

"Doug's comment on the pop-up flash is valid of course. But how sensible is it for people with 2,000 bucks worth of camera in their hands (or more) to use that peanut flash?
For 'serious' photography I use a 'serious' flash gun."

I ALSO USE A DETACHABLE FLASH. I have used the pop-up flash on each of my three DLSR cameras one-time. That was when I got the camera to ensure that the pop-up flash would work (This was because of eventual resale I actually could care less if my pop-up flash works or not). I totally agree that it seems silly to invest several grand in photo equipment and then rely in the gimpy pop-up flash. I always carry a flash and will use it for a goodly portion of my photography. besides improving indoor photography with correctly used flash, fill-flash outdoors improves many images.

I WILL also ALWAYS USE A HOOD - EXCEPT IN SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES.

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #30
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 332771
Editing OK?: Ask first

I have hoods for all of my lenses. L lenses or not. All but one are put on backwards in "travel mode" while in my bag.
The one that just won't fit in the bag well with the hood on backwards is the 10-22. That hood is just sooo wide, it's awkward when it's on backwards.
Do I pull it out of the other pocket and use it?
Every time I put that lens on my camera.

The Adventures of the Photo Camel

My Smugmug page

A photograph is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it just isn't that good.
Killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: