Why would you NOT use a lens hood - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Why would you NOT use a lens hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
Yeah, I hate those stupid focusing and zoom rings and goofy IS power buttons. I wish Canon would develop telepathy based controls for their lenses.
...or hide them deep inside them silly menus...

...so I do not need this...

Max@Home
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20D_MG_6766-svw.jpg (75.2 KB, 493 views)

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #12
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Butterfingers! Actually, I think you put the duct tape on there to look cool.
Old 02-13-2008   #13
D.Rodgers

CamelKarma:

Some specialty lens such as my Nikkor 55mm micro do not need and are recommended to use a hood.
The optics are heavily recessed and the bellow is stepped with a glare absorbing matte black.I have heard using a hood can cause glare on these lens.
Old 02-13-2008   #14
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439
Editing OK?: Ask First

I leave them on when I shoot events. So many photographers are hanging around and so close to each other that things get banged around. I don't want my front element hit and I don't use filters unless I have to. (After all, there isn't a filter made that's as good as the glass of your lens).

I see guys electrical tape the hoods on their lenses all the time so that they don't fall off if they are bumped by others. This is especially true of the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8's hood. I had it fall off and get kicked ... happily, no one stepped on it.

Julio
Old 02-13-2008   #15
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
Butterfingers! Actually, I think you put the duct tape on there to look cool.
...no, butter-buttons especially the AF on-off is übersmooth in it's operation, but IS on-off is a strong second

...and actually, I got the tip from my 'pro-brothers' during a convention, about 80% or so use duct tape on their 70-200F2.8IS...

...and sending the lens to Canon is not a serious option: if they replace the button-panel, in half a years time you get the same problems... it needs the newer more recessed and stronger held-in-position switches like on the 17-55IS or 24-105L IS...

...€0.02 more...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Old 02-13-2008   #16
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 56
Editing OK?: Ask first

W Smith, I was giving examples - as per the original question. Not trying to ridicule using a lens hood.

As for sliding ND grads, if they're not used at the time you take the picture, and the scene's too contrasty, then the information is lost - unless you like the artifical effects of HDR processing and are prepared to bracket sufficiently.

Your point about hoods falling off is well taken and has been a source of annoyance to me in the past. Another reason I only use them if necessary.

If you wish to use a hood all the time, I've no issue. But please allow others to think for themselves, not expect them to follow your ideas like sheep.

J Francho, your comments about consumer grade lenses not being supplied with lens hoods applies to most Canon L lenses - they're a paid for extra. I'm really surprised that you didn't realise this. But I guess the reason is that Canon realise that discerning pros don't want to pay for accessories if they're not going to use them.

Surprisingly, budget and 'pro' lenses from suppliers like sigma usually come with hoods. Explain...
Old 02-13-2008   #17
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgermany View Post
J Francho, your comments about consumer grade lenses not being supplied with lens hoods applies to most Canon L lenses - they're a paid for extra.
?? the other way around: with L lenses the hood (and a lens bag or case) are included...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Old 02-13-2008   #18
Llama

CamelKarma: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Smith View Post
Not if you use the proper 'travel mode' and put the hood on backwards when not shooting.
They still make a considerable difference in diameter

Quote:
No: UV or CP filters (never stack filters) are not impeded by a hood. Cokin-type filters and filter holders and hoods don't work together well, but with digital you don't need those physical filters, because you can add 98% of those filter effects in post production (and that also saves you a lot of time, hassle and fidgeting with them on location!).
It's hard to attach a filter or even a lens cap if the hood is on in it's normal position which means you have to remove it, put on your filter, then reattach it.

Quote:
Not when reversed in 'travel mode'.
My Domke bags will not hold some of my lenses with hood attached in reverse mode because the diameter is too large to fit the standard pockets.
d2creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #19
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
J Francho, your comments about consumer grade lenses not being supplied with lens hoods applies to most Canon L lenses - they're a paid for extra. I'm really surprised that you didn't realise this. But I guess the reason is that Canon realise that discerning pros don't want to pay for accessories if they're not going to use them.
You're wrong! L's come with hoods and nice bags. I actually have a camera and lenses, including some Ls.
Old 02-13-2008   #20
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

When I had Canon gear, and I bought a couple L lenses, the hoods WERE included....

Olympus Passion Magazine
Idiot Savant AND trouble-maker...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: