Photographers Vest - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Photographers Vest

I use the Lowe Pro Street and Field Harness system. If you have a Lowe Pro backpack all the lens bags and accessories can be used with this shoulder harness system.

I placed a little clip on the D-Ring on the front top shoulder pad on the system and use that to display my credentials at shows. The system holds a tremendous amount of items and it's quite comfortable and distributes weight very nicely around your body and is supported at your shoulders rather than on your waist so that your lower back doesn't hurt by the end of the night / day's shooting.

The link is for the shoulder harness. You also need to order the belt, by size, where the sliplock accessories fit into.

Great system. I use it for concerts as well as for nature treks. You can even order water bottle holders which work nicely on their own to hold batteries, cell phone, lens caps, etc when you are not carrying a water bottle.

Lowepro | Shoulder Harness, Extra Large | 1951210 | B&H Photo

Julio
Old 02-25-2008   #12
Llama

CamelKarma: 199337
Editing OK?: Yes

I use the Campco vest for shooting places i do not want to have to set a bag down at. mine even has a pocket big enough to carry a water bottle in.
Great for day hikes as well, although the pockets are not big enough to carry a DSLR with the lens attached.

here is a link to the one I like using, lots of other brands out there as well.

Campco | Safari Photo Vest, Large (Khaki) | VENTKL | B&H Photo
Mr Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #13
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 325569

I use one of these ...
Pro Camera Gear

and still can't believe it was only $35.00! My jacket size is 44 and while the large says its for a much larger size it seems to be just about right! I've even been known to put a windbreaker in the rear pocket if we are going for a good walk! It is good quality and it is a lot easier to carry my stuff balanced in the vest than on one shoulder in a bag! I also got the tripod carrying strap which is also a good option to have! It even came in a week and when coming accross the border that was real nice! USPS is usually close to a month!

Last edited by Poco Red; 02-28-2008 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: delivery info
Poco Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008   #14
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11406
Editing OK?: No
Smile Re: Photographers Vest

About twenty years ago, I obtained a Banana Republic photographer's vest that worked exceptionally well for several years -- before I misplaced it during a move. Unable to replace it with another Banana Republic vest (discontinued I guess), I purchased a Domke photographer's vest. As a working photojournalist, I was already a great fan of Domke bags, so I was pretty confident that the vest would be useful as well -- and I wasn't disappointed.

This is not the Domke jacket that has removable sleeves, it is an actual vest, dripping with pockets of all manner of sizes and shapes -- some useful, and some not so much. Since leaving journalism, I only drag the vest out for hikes into the terrain with my 4x5 field camera -- but it is still going strong, just not as pretty as it was new.

Hope this helps.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008   #15
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

yep, that's the one I'm using.
I wouldn't walk around without it.
Old 03-27-2008   #16
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787
Default I use the Domke Photographers Vest also...

I bought it with a gift certificate which I won at a Calumet Photo store. Actually, it was an impulse purchase with "free" money and I didn't use the vest for a long while.

I have lately taken to using it and I like it very much. It is not too hot on a warm day yet gives a little protection on a chilly day.

I can leave all my staple equipment in the vest pockets, pad, pen, flashlight, etc. and always have them available.

The only downside is that I have to be very orderly because there are so many darn packets that it is easy to lose small pieces of gear like camera batteries.

I keep my top pocket free for lens caps and or hood-hats and have not lost one of these elusive devils since I began using the vest. I also like to be able to collect brochures and other information about the subjects I am shooting. I just shove them into a back pocket where they are not in the way.

I don't carry lenses in my vest because I use multiple bodies and have the lenses I carry attached to a body.

My wife sewed some Velcro across the top of the left shoulder of my vest. That is great to secure the strap of the holster case in which I will carry my camera with the longest lens. The Velcro prevents the strap from sliding off my shoulder.

I also have a fishing vest. This is shorter in length than my Domke and I use it for fly fishing. I leave my various fly fishing paraphernalia in that vest so I would not want to try to make one vest do double duty. Additionally, the fishing vests (and there are several fishing vests sold as photo vests with Nikon or Canon logo patches) don't have the pockets set up as well as the Domke. They ar also usually shorter since fly fishermen don't want the bottom of the vest to be dunked in a stream while wading.

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #17
Llama

CamelKarma: 1209634

Daddy, why does Aunt Tammy have to carry all that stuff with her? Well honey, it's because she doesn't have one of those really cool vests like daddy does. Oh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CTS_Singles_RS_012e.jpg (98.9 KB, 597 views)

https://twitter.com/RSweetenImages

https://www.facebook.com/ricksweetenimages
Nikon Gear

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
nohoneythatsnotanewlens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #18
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 45

I ended up getting one of those ThinkTank belt systems instead, because I do weddings occasionally, and felt that the vest wouldn't be cool enough. It's been pretty nice... I can carry around the Canon 70-200 F2.8 on my belt, it's that supportive.
Old 12-18-2008   #19
KmH

CamelKarma:

+1 on the Campco vest. I shoot soccer when we don't have snow on the ground. The epaulets w/snap are great for securing the 2nd camera strap on my left shoulder. The lens pockets on the front work well for water bottles and by now, I know exactly what is in each of the 21 pockets.
Old 12-19-2008   #20
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poco Red View Post
I use one of these ...
Pro Camera Gear

and still can't believe it was only $35.00! My jacket size is 44 and while the large says its for a much larger size it seems to be just about right! I've even been known to put a windbreaker in the rear pocket if we are going for a good walk! It is good quality and it is a lot easier to carry my stuff balanced in the vest than on one shoulder in a bag! I also got the tripod carrying strap which is also a good option to have! It even came in a week and when coming accross the border that was real nice! USPS is usually close to a month!
In the Specials section of the website they have a few of the above for $25 - even better!

Pro Camera Gear

E-420 w/ 14-42mm & 50-200mm SWD Feisol 3442 & Markins M-10.

Sign up to http://www.smugmug.com and get a $5 discount using this code: ZtJDvaMsJYUmM
moggi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: