Anyone heard of Macro filter? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009   #21
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2460
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Anyone heard of Macro filter?

Hi,

I have a Nikon D90 with the Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens. This lens has a minimal focusing distance of 0.45m. I like to make macro pictures and at some point probably will invest in a dedicated macro lens. For now however, buying the camera has kind of emptied my wallet So now I am looking at the close up filters as an inexpensive "alternative" to a macro lens. I know that people will now start saying that those filters are no real alternative and that I should look at extension tubes. The reason, why I'm looking at the close up filters is that I climbing around in mountains and often traveling with backpack, all situations where I cannot take a lot of stuff with me and where changing lens or putting an extension tube between lens and camera-body would be asking for dust getting to the sensor or just simply unpractical.

Well, now to my question. After doing some research I realized that there are 2 different qualities of filters: single-element filters e.g. from Hoya and the double element filters 250D, 500D from Canon and the discontinued Nikon 3T, 4T, 5T and 6T.
Basically I can use any filter from any manufacturer on my lens, as long as it fits to the 67mm diameter of my lens or is larger, in which case I would just use a step up ring.
Now the problem is that all of Nikons filters are smaller than 67mm and from canon exists only the 500D with a diameter larger than 67mm (namely 77mm). However, that filter is only an equivalent to +2 Dioptrin and costs ~200€...

So it seems as if the only choice I have are the worse single-element filters from e.g. Hoya, or does anybody know any other double element close up filters with a diameter of >67mm?

I've heard and read now lots of differing comments about those filters. As can be seen in the example picture earlier in this thread, the +10 filters seem to be rather bad, but would a single-element +4 filter be much better? And if the minimal focusing distance of my lens is now 0.45m, how much would it be then with the +4 filter on top?
salicylsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #22
Photocamel Muse

CamelKarma: 61445
Editing OK?: Ask First

I have the Canon one (which you could use with a stepping ring). It was my first step into macro, but honestly I have not used it in years. Better I think to begin with tubes.

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #23
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Vicuna

Location: Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain
CamelKarma: 965

Question is, what type of macro shots are you after, because with the close-up lenses/filters, you won't have the range that you do with a dedicated macro lens. Raynox makes a close up set with a universal adapter for filter sizes 52 thru 67mm, for around $75 from Adorama. I have them, but these are more like microscopic lenses, the range is limited. You'll have to be fairly close the subject you are photographing to get sharp focus, though they are very portable.

The first shot was taken with the raynox closeup lens and I had the lens practically touching the weed/flower to get the shot. The second was taken with the nikon 105 macro lens at a distance of about 2 feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abstract-macro1.jpg (57.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg abstractmacro.jpg (54.4 KB, 33 views)
Mary Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #24
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 4422

I BADLY want a macro lens!!!

I have a Nikon D50, anybody got a macro they aren't using and wanna donate it to a good cause?!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes its a quiet voice at the end of the day that says "Try again tomorrow" -Mary Anne Radmacher
angelsfort is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: