Anyone heard of Macro filter? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 276
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Anyone heard of Macro filter?

ext tubes come in a variety of sizes and are found at most major camer retailers. check out b&h, amazon, or your fav camera store/ site and just type in the name extension tubes. be sure to get ones that are digital compatable or you may haev to shoot in manuel all the time with them on. nikon probally makes their own brand but another good name i can recomend would be the kenko ext tubes.

Last edited by zero rc; 01-04-2008 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: sry for being redundant, d.rodgers must type faster than i do :)
zero rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 209
Editing OK?: Ask first

I just took a picture with the Macro filter... What does everyone think, I know it is not the most stunning subject but it's what I have available immediately..

Old 01-04-2008   #13
Llama

part of it looks great, but notice how your focus falls off a very steep clif once outside of the sweet spot? like the lower right hand portion of the image looks pretty good, sharp, decent color 9 im assuming). but it starts to fall apart from there. the far corner is nothing but blur. i guess its cool if you dont mind working within the limitations of the filter, but i think you could do so much better. there are several things that make a macro lens a macro lens. one is the ability to focus very close and produce a 1:1 ratio of the image on the cameras sensor, but the other is edge to edge sharpness. im sure in certain creative applications this filter will serve you well. when shooting macro the DOF is razor thin and sharpness is held at a premium. you could haev always recreated this effect in post if you had edge to edge sharpness but i dont think you would ever be able to sharpen this to replicate a dedicated macros crispness. i guess it ultimately comes down to what results you were looking for and how into it you are. matbe just compose using the sweetest part of the filter and you should be ok.
Old 01-05-2008   #14
Photocamel Muse

CamelKarma: 61445

Macro filters are fine so long as you are willing to pay for the higher quality ones. I have the Canon 500 that Pickles mentions and have had some fun with it. I'd recommend using extension tubes instead though if you are looking to take an inexpensive step into macro photography to see if you like it. Be forewarned though that you will likely become addicted and move onward to buying a dedicated macro lens shortly after.

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #15
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 34

Exactly, Athena!
You sound like you paid your dues.
W.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #16
Llama

oh, and dont forget the focusing rack. athena is right, but its like a whole nother world in the 1:1 + relm!!
Old 01-06-2008   #17
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787
Default Low priced macro lenses...

IMO, a macro lens which is capable of 1:1 image ratio (preferably without an adapter but, even a lens that uses an adapter to get to 1:1) is the most enjoyable way to shoot macro imagery. Here are several ideas regarding low priced macro lenses.

Used 90mm Tamron f/2.8 (non DI lens):
I bought mine on eBay for less than $125 including shipping. This is the model previous to the present Tamron DI issue but, I have absolutely NO qualms about recommending it. It is as sharp as any of my "L" lenses and as sharp as my Canon 17-5mm f/2.8 IS. It may take a while to find one but, these lenses are available. I have seen them in the price range of $100-200 for Canon mounts. I would expect that the prices would be about the same regarding Nikon mounts. From my discussions with 90mm DI owners, there doesn't seem to be a terribly great advantage in the DI model over the previous non-DI issue. Here is a review of the DI model.
Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Lens - A Nikonians Product Review - Nikonians.org -- Worldwide Home of Nikon Photographers

Used non-auto focus lens with adapter:
You would not have the luxury of auto-focus but, I will use manual focus most often when shooting macros. For Canon cameras, it is best to get a non-Canon FD lens because it is more flexible. Canon FD lenses on EF cameras will not focus to infinity but, strangely other manufacturers lenses will focus to infinity with adapters. Of course, if you are using this only as a macro lens, that would be a moot point. When I was using Pentax manual focus cameras, I had a wonderful Vivitar Series I, f/2.5 (not the f/2.8 model) that was a great and sharp macro lens. I am sure that there are a lot of manual focus macro lenses floating around on the used market at relatively low prices.
Manual lenses with EOS cameras

Cosina, Phoenix, Vivitar, Pentax and Voigtländer 100mm f/3.5 macro
I have not personally used this lens which is distributed under all of the above brand names but, the reviews seem to indicate that it is a pretty good buy at its relatively low price-tag (around $120 or so - new on the Internet).
Phoenix AF 100mm f/3.4 Macro Lens - A Nikonians Product Review

Considering all of the above three options, your best bet would be the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 (non-DI). I absolutely love this lens and would never trade it. It rivals the Canon and Nikon brand lenses of that approximate focal length. I cannot remark about either the Canon or Nikon macro equivalents but, the absolutely creamy bokeh produced by the Tamron makes it a wonderful portrait lens. This is not a lens which you can buy off the shelf or even purchase immediately on eBay. You will need patience to wait until one pops up. If a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 does appear at a decent price - SNAP IT UP! You will never regret your decision.

Note: as mentioned in an above post; a bellows unit can produce some remarkable images and can often produce imagery far larger than most macro lenses (with some specialized exceptions, most macros do not produce imagery greater than 1:1)

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 73

the picture is a good start. will your macro filter let you get closer and still focus? i would like to see more DOF in this shot, but good start!
weaselnoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #19
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 209
Editing OK?: Ask first

Yes I believe so, I am just getting started with it but this was done with my 55-200 lens at about 107.. It will allow me to focus all the way to about 180mm at the same distance from the subject but I didn't have my tripod with me when I took the shot so and as I may have a steady hand, it isn't that steady..

Oh and BTW welcome to the forums
Old 02-06-2008   #20
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 32
Editing OK?: No

I purchased the +10 macro filter & only used it a few times, I started to get really interested in macro & ended up purchasing a 105mm macro lens & an extension tube. I feel more in control with the lens. I really have not used the filter since. The photo below was one of the only really decent shots that I took with the filter.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: