Circular Polarizer - which brand?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 85
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Circular Polarizer - which brand?

I use CPL filter heavily. The one I use now is an inexpensive Tiffen which works OK, but not great. Two issues... the thread is wearing out and some times it is hard to get it off. Also, I think I get some color tinting on some shots.

Any recommendations on which brand? I am willing to spend around $100.

Thanks for your input!

Old 09-20-2007   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Circular Polarizer - which brand?

A good, multicoated circular polarizer costs about $2/mm diameter, so if your filter size is 77mm then you're spending something in the ballpark of $154.

I use B+W as my brand of polarizing filter, but they're fairly expensive, and follow the $2 rule, more or less. My 77mm polarizer from B+W was around $150.

I've also used Nikon polarizers, and while they were very good I think the only ones still available are the slim ones, meaning you can't use a conventional lens cap with them. Still, they save you some money over the B+W ones.

I hear good things about the multicoated Hoya polarizers but don't have enough user experience with them other than the fact that they seemed pretty good.
Old 09-20-2007   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 194

Heliopan is also quite good and so are any filters with Schott glass. I am playing for the first time with some of the better quality Hoya polarizers at this time as these are readily available. I do not know yet how these stack up to the other three brands mentioned, but I suspect several of our members do know this if they care to share.

Tom

P.S. I also use Nikon circular polarizers, but I do not believe that Nikon makes these.
Tom Swaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #4
Camel Breath

Quote:
I also use Nikon circular polarizers, but I do not believe that Nikon makes these.
I dunno, they (Nikon's filters, polarizer or otherwise) don't look like anything else I've used handled. Google results seem to suggest that any Nikon filter labeled "Japan" is actually made by Nikon, hence the claim that Nikon filters use the same glass as their lenses, while some Nikon filters labeled "Made in USA" are contracted out.

I heard Canon's filters are made by Tiffen, but you know the internet....

Last edited by cyclohexane; 09-20-2007 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: additions
cyclohexane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #5
D.Rodgers

CamelKarma:

I use B+W also .
the only quirk i've had with screw on filters is how easy they scratch.
So my advice don't buy cheap.
Old 09-21-2007   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 85

I think I should invest the money and go for the B+W...
One question though... I get some sort of a color cast at times of, say the sky. This could also happen when you are composing two similar shots but in two different directions - in other words the sky look deep blue in one shot, and when I rotate in place 45 degrees and take a picture I get a color cast. I understand that you get a different shades of blue depending on the shooting angle. However, you should not get a color cast as if you took it on another day...

Did you experience with your CPL?

Thanks for your feedback!!
danpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #7
Camel Breath

Quote:
Did you experience with your CPL?
With cheap ones my images had different color casts.

With the B+W ones, the color casts have been minimal or nonexistent, though there is a slight change. I choose my "Shade" (+1 to +3) as my WB, and it looks great to me.

cyclohexane is online now   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: