The Aputure Amaran Halo AHL-HC100 CRI 95+ LED Macro Ring Flash Light for Canon DSLR
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2017   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Question The Aputure Amaran Halo AHL-HC100 CRI 95+ LED Macro Ring Flash Light for Canon DSLR

Does anyone have any experience with the new Aputure Amaran Halo AHL-HC100 CRI 95+ LED Macro Ring Flash Light for Canon DSLR - https://www.amazon.ca/Fotga-Aputure-...re+amaron+halo ?

I am curious as it would seem to be a nice alternative to the high priced flash that Canon, and others, sell. The only limitation I can see now is that it is limited to working with lens 77mm and smaller.

I would be interested in hearing of anyone's experience - good bad or indifferent. Thanks.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: The Aputure Amaran Halo AHL-HC100 CRI 95+ LED Macro Ring Flash Light for Canon DS

No experience with that particular model but then I am not much for single taskers if I can help it. To save money I use a twin flash system with a macro bracket and a single cord.
I use a pair of these: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._270EX_II.html
On something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-330...AW53830GXF9E9E

It's more expensive but I have the advantages of a twin flash macro flash along with the ability to use one or both flashes interdependently for other applications. My little travel camera is a G1x MkII and this makes a perfect little flash to go with it.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017   #3
F1 Camel

Default Re: The Aputure Amaran Halo AHL-HC100 CRI 95+ LED Macro Ring Flash Light for Canon DS

gryphonslair99, thanks for sharing your setup. The thing that intrigues me about the Amaran Halo, is that it is based on LLD lighting and not the traditional flash. It can behave like a flash, or a continuous light. I guess that in the long run, it really depends what your are trying to do with it. I see that it might be of benefit to those who shoot video, but not sure about those of us who don't do much, or any, of that.

I don't know if LEDs are the thing to come in "lighting", but I am thinking that this may be the way the world is going. It will be interesting to see if one of the big camera manufacturers will go this route.

WesternGuy

Old 04-26-2017   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

The thing I don't like about LED lighting, especially that sort of lighting is it only produces flat light. With my setup I can dial one flash unit back and actually create a bit of shadow on my subject, even subjects as small as bugs.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

You can do something similar by covering the part of the LED head that you don't want shining on your subject. The output is low and spread out, so you don't have to worry much about heat buildup.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017   #6
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
The thing I don't like about LED lighting, especially that sort of lighting is it only produces flat light. With my setup I can dial one flash unit back and actually create a bit of shadow on my subject, even subjects as small as bugs.
From what I have been able to find out, this unit will fire on the left or right as well as the full unit. It does not seem to have the ability to regulate both sides independently, such as you would have with the dual flash, so that is one possible shortfall. Maybe it is only a matter of time though, before they figure out how to do this.

WesternGuy

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: