[video] Tripods: How to Use Them, and Choose Them
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2017   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 22009
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default [video] Tripods: How to Use Them, and Choose Them

Here's a new video explaining all the basics of tripods for photography:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIWvjfI_-PA

I hope you find it helpful!

Old 02-16-2017   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: [video] Tripods: How to Use Them, and Choose Them

Well, for something that sounds pretty boring and easy.... there is a lot of good info in there for a lot of people. Some common sense and some facts and some good general knowledge designed to educate. Pretty good 20 minutes spent.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017   #3
Vicuna

Thanks, Mr Pickles! Glad you enjoyed it.
photofreak66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

Decent video for a start, however it left out a lot of details when purchasing a tripod and head that could help a purchaser. Such as ball head stability factors, controls etc., vertical pistol grip head inherent instability, proprietary QR plates vs Arca-swill costs, tripod leg stability vs number of leg sections to name a few. All pitfalls that newbies tend to fall into.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

I thought he covered those factors? Like he mentioned the pistol grip is easier, but when rotate down it leaves the camera out there and can tip over...? Leg stability he discussed and said try and put the long lens over a leg, and if tipped 90 degress, rotate so it is over a leg...? Number of sections didn't discuss, unless one considers that to be all a part of the height discussion...?

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017   #6
F1 Camel

If you have ever used a pistol grip you would realize it is not stable in any position. Tall pistol grip over the ball is like raising the center column. Have you ever examined top quality ball heads. All of them have extremely short posts to QR release. Shorter is more stable.

Various controls needs to be discussed as well. Basic bones ball head with single knob control is not particularly useful.

Gear heads not discussed at all.

Number of sections is important. More leg sections is inherently less stable.

These are things that newbies don't understand or know about. It would be good for them if they did and understood how all of it plays together to create a stable support system.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Old 02-21-2017   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 9679634

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post

These are things that newbies don't understand or know about. It would be good for them if they did and understood how all of it plays together to create a stable support system.
It must be wonderful to have never been a "newbie" - I have been taking photographs for well over 50 years and am still learning...............the only way you learn IS by making mistakes /getting it wrong. Actually, it would be awfully boring to have been perfect from the outset....
moonrakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017   #8
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakerz View Post
It must be wonderful to have never been a "newbie" - I have been taking photographs for well over 50 years and am still learning...............the only way you learn IS by making mistakes /getting it wrong. Actually, it would be awfully boring to have been perfect from the outset....
So if you are going to own a gun you are advocating that one shoot themselves to see if it hurts or not rather than taking advice from someone who has handled guns for 50 years.

I too have shot as long as you have, thing is I don't consider giving good but partial information much of a help. The op's video has some good information. In my opinion it also lacks some basic information that anyone looking to purchase a tripod should know.

People should learn from their mistakes, but feeling that because you made those mistakes, wasted your money etc. the newbies should have to waste their money as well is not particularly helpful either. Sounds a bit spiteful to me actually.

One thing no body bothered to tell people, when the digital age made it possible for almost everyone to be a photographer is that this isn't a cheap hobby. People want to the most bang for their buck. To do so they need as much information as they can to make their own choice. It then is incumbent upon them to make their own choice.

Old 02-21-2017   #9
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 9679634

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
So if you are going to own a gun you are advocating that one shoot themselves to see if it hurts or not rather than taking advice from someone who has handled guns for 50 years.
Please don't move onto the ownership/use of guns - from a nation that kills 30,000 of its citizens every year with firearms I find that rather - well, I'll leave that one alone...........

I must confess that I find the use of the term "newbies" somewhat derogatory - if one refers to others in this manner it implies that the user of this term is far superior in knowledge/technique - often this is not so, except in the perception of the user.
I totally agree with Mr P on the content of the video, it was a good general compendium of useful tips on selection and use of tripods. It could have lasted for 2 hours and been accompanied with a 500 page book and would still have missed some points - would that still mean that "it left out a lot of details" - especially for "newbies" ?
moonrakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017   #10
Vicuna

Thanks Mr. Pickles and Moonrakerz for your kind words. You are correct in that there is only so much I can say in a 20-minute video designed to cover the basics. I try to make the information as dense and compact as possible, because I value your time, but that still means leaving out of lot of things I'd love to say I had had an hour, or 10 hours, and was addressing an advanced audience.

Kind comments like yours help keep me inspired to produce more. -- Phil

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: