help with Tripod purchase
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2016   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default help with Tripod purchase

I am just getting back into photography after a nasty divorce.

I just purchased some new equipment. I have a Canon 5D MIII and 2 lenses that I have now. They are the Canon 24-105 f4L and a 100 2.8L.

The tripod I am looking at is the Manfrotto MKBFRC4-BH.

Would this be ok for now? I do know that I like to have a ball head and this comes with one but may not work for bigger lenses, however what I have listed is all that I have now. I like to stay with the same brands of equipment, crazy like that. I would like to stay with Manfrotto but willing to listen to suggestions.

TY for the help.

Old 09-04-2016   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120
Default Re: help with Tripod purchase

You're probably going to get a lot of different answers to this type of question. You'll have to decide what works best for you.

Buying a tripod you'll have a lot to consider. Do you only want to buy it once and be done for the rest of your life? Or do you want to buy 2-3 more until you get the right one? How much do you want to spend? How will you use it? What lenses will you put on it, not only now but also in the future?

I personally don't know anything about manfrotto, I'm a really right stuff person.
But think about how you want to use the tripod. How light does it need to be. Does it need to go low to the ground. How tall are you? Are you going to use it for night/astrophotography? Things like that will all effect what you should get.

Also figure out what lenses you want to use, not only now, but what lenses you'll realistically get in the future. Weigh the camera, the heaviest lens, any lens feet or camera L-plates, and any other accessories you might be using. Get that total weight. Then triple it. That's the minimum amount of weight the ball head needs to support. Otherwise the ball head will creep, and also the tripod will not be sturdy enough for long exposures or if it's windy or in unstable conditions.

Read up on the various tripods and what they have to offer. Read some reviews. In the end only you can decide what works for you, and what will be a deal breaker.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 12091131
Editing OK?: Yes

This one is close on the specs though a little heavier and costs a bit more but in the end it holds up to 3 times as much. I can also vouch for the quality. I have the MeFoto tripod though with Acratech Ultimate ball head. A buddy has the unit as shown here > MeFoto and loves it. In the end it's your decision but evaluate your options.

Facebook
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________
Who was the first guy that looked at a cow and said, "I think that I'll drink whatever comes out of those things when I squeeze them"?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016   #4
Alpaca

Thank you both. The one I have listed said only supports 8 or so lbs.

that MeFoto is nice as well and since I was looking at getting a monopod that just makes more since.

Currently I have a 5D MIII and 24-105 and the 100 macro.
shamelin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383
Editing OK?: Yes

I have several tripods, large and small, but for the past 47 years have usually used American made Tiltall tripods. Of the five I've bought, one was sold rather than carry it back from overseas, one was lost, one was given to a treasured friend, one is kept in the car and one in the house. I've used them with up to 400mm lenses on small cameras and with longer lenses on 4x5 cameras. All five with their good three-axis heads may have cost less than one new tripod with more conveniences but less durability. Digital cameras come and go. One fine tripod lasts a lifetime.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016   #6
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
This one is close on the specs though a little heavier and costs a bit more but in the end it holds up to 3 times as much. I can also vouch for the quality. I have the MeFoto tripod though with Acratech Ultimate ball head. A buddy has the unit as shown here > MeFoto and loves it. In the end it's your decision but evaluate your options.
TY I went and looked at the at the local shop but the couldn't match BHPHOTO so I ordered it online. Looks to be just what I needed and don't need to buy a monopoly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Scott
Old 09-10-2016   #7
Alpaca

Just received this tripod. Seems to be well built and sturdy.

TY for the suggestions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Scott

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: