Gitzo G-1588 monopod
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007   #1
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Gitzo G-1588 monopod

There's a guy willing to sell me one at a fraction of the list price, and I'm keen anyway to get a monopod for those times where I just need something small and light to carry around. I've read that a cheap and simple head like a Manfrotto MN234 would work well with this, though I already have a Manfrotto 222 head that's basically unused since I got a ball head. Is it worth the extra for something like the Gitzo or could I get by with a relatively cheap (and hopefully not nasty) alternative - e.g. a Manfrotto MN434 at a fraction of the price)?

Old 02-13-2007   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Default Re: Gitzo G-1588 monopod

I would not get a gitzo for this occasional use: too expensive. Be warned: a lot of us (non sports shooters) have monopods and never use them.
Old 02-13-2007   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

Paul, thats to much lingo for me in your post (I don't know all the manfrotto products by heart).
If you want a good monopod that doubles up as a walking stick (remember old age is coming anayway)
buy this monopod from novoflex. I have one and it is really good.
Old 02-13-2007   #4
senses working overtime

I agree normally about the Gitzo being too expensive, but this is less than half retail price so doesn't sound so steep (no more expensive than a decent Manfrotto).

I was thinking that I'd use it a lot more than my tripod. Despite having a very light CF tripod it's still too bulky to cart around. A monopod that can shrink down to a very small size appeals to me for when I do my walks through the woods/parks etc. So I think I'd get a lot more use out of it than some.

Thanks for the link Rense. That is about half of the cost of the Gitzo I'm contemplating. What head are you using with it?
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

If it sounds like something you'd like, go for it. You can always unload relatively easily - especially if you pass on your savings to the next buyer.
Old 02-13-2007   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

I own this monopod. It was worth full retail price. Light, quick to set up, supports quite a bit of weight. If you can get it for half price, go for it!

Only drawback is that it's pretty big, but unlike my Manfrottos it won't creak under the weight of heavy equipment. The 1588 is fatter than the legs on my cheap Giottos aluminum tripod.

This is how mine is set up (lousy pic):

Manfrotto 3232 Swivel head (no quick release). I'm eventually going to attach an Arca-Swiss type clamp to it (and maybe lose the swivel head, depending on how big I end up going with my own lenses), but that's for later.
Old 02-13-2007   #7
senses working overtime

Thanks for that Michael. I was looking at attaching a head like this:

(A Manfrotto MN234 - can be bought for around 10).

It seems like your head is quite similar, though I always get confused with the Manfrotto/Bogen naming schemes. It'll be handling up to 2.5Kg (around 5.5 lbs), so a sturdy support is important to me.

Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

Mine is the version of that head without the quick release (and a different knob), as I plan to eventually equip it with an Arca-Swiss type quick release clamp (money, heheh).

The swivel heads from Manfrotto/Bogen are rated to support about 5 pounds, but I've had a 300mm f/2.8 AF-S I (in the neighborhood of 8 pounds) with a D2HS (2-2.5 pounds) attached to it without any problems. The balance of the lens matters a little more, as a 70-200mm f/2.8 with TC-20E attached (around 3-4 pounds) gives enough of a lever arm to shift the combination.
Old 02-14-2007   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Constructive Critique?: No

Paul,
Most often I don't use a ballhead (because that one is tightened up to one of my two Manfrotto tripods).
Old 02-19-2007   #10
senses working overtime

Just an update on this. Got the Gitzo last week with the little MN234 head and have to say it's a really well made tool, in perfect condition too. Very solid but still quite light. Had some fun using it over the weekend and it's so nice to be able to take longer exposures without relying on three legs... Recommended, especially if you can get is as cheaply as I did .

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: