What do I need to look for in a good Monopod?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default What do I need to look for in a good Monopod?

Have a great Carbon Gitzo tripod and Arca Z1 Ball head, I appreciate well made stuff, never used or had a monopod before and seeing I will need to rely on one leg the dynamic may be a bit different with a monopod.

So what constitutes a well made functional Monopod?
I'll typically be using shorter lenses 24-70 and max 70-200mm 2.8 with 1.4xTC

Old 05-15-2014   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 540570
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: What do I need to look for in a good Monopod?

I use an Induro carbon monopod model CM25. I'm using it with a 100mm and 450d. If your camera/lens combo is heavier you could always bump up to the next model, though this monopod is rated at 22lbs so it's probably not necessary

It has 5 sections each separated by a twist lock mechanism. The twist locks make it very easy to adjust the length quickly. This monopod is rock solid. I use one of their ball heads...not as good as a Manfrotto, but it serves the purpose.

The monopod comes with a belt holster, though I just use a simple piece of nylon cord tied to the top and bottom to make a shoulder strap. This monopod would be absolutely perfect if Induro made the foot changeable....sadly you can't change it out for a spiked foot or wide foot for working on sand.

As far as technique goes, this link The Camera Monopod | How To Articles – In The Same Boat: Paddling.net shows you the technique that I use (#3)...the tip of the monopod up against the instep of the foot.
wdesigndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 103596
Editing OK?: No

Choosing a monopod, is much like picking a tripod. What do you see not only for camera/lens weight but also use and conditions when used. Use in extreme conditions every day require more heavy duty, same as the tripod choice for those conditions would be. You want heavy duty enough to be sturdy for the weight supported, but light enough you dont actually use it. A good rule of thumb is pick a weight rating of at least 50% higher than the actual total weight of your camera/lens combination.
My most used is an older Bogen 3249 aluminum 4 section. heavy enough its sturdy, not weight prohibitive, i can use it for a walking stick if needed, self defense in case of a theft attempt, and of course its intended purpose, it easily supports a D700 body with either the 70-200, or 80-400.
I don't see the need for a ball head. a simple swivel head on a mono is sufficient IMHO.
Charlie_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 790947

Please do consider gorillapod too. I'd recommend -
JOBY gorillapod
Model name - Focus.

I recently brought it and m very happy with it.
simv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intothedeepblue View Post
So what constitutes a well made functional Monopod?
Here are the factors I considered when I needed a monopod:

Weight (heavy vs. light)

Material (aluminum vs. carbon fiber)

Rigidity (does not bend)

Durability

Intended use
·for light-weight compact cameras
·for heavy-weight cameras

Tubular leg design vs. Channel leg design

Leg locks
·twist locks
·clamping lever locks (my personal preference)
·wing nuts

Number of leg sections (no more than three)

Height (at least 5 1/2 feet for my height)

Compactness (collapses to smaller size)

Head
·Fixed (I avoided monopods with a fixed head)
·removable
·none

Feet
·fixed non-slip rubber
·fixed spike feet
·retractable spike feet
·suction cups
·snow feet

Screw
·3/8 inch (European Standard)
·¼ inch (American Standard)

Quick Release Feature

Reputation of Manufacturer (I avoided manufacturers with no history of producing high quality tripods)

Maximum load (want 2x weight of my heaviest camera)

Price

I ended up buying two monopods – one for my heavy cameras and one for my lightweight compact cameras.

My heaviest lens/camera combination weighs about 10 pounds (500mm f/4 telephoto lens mounted on a Nikon F2 with action finder, motor drive, and battery pack). The Manfrotto 681, with a maximum load rating of 26 pounds, and an attached Wimberley Arca-Swiss quick release clamp is what I bought to meet my needs.

For my compact cameras, I selected an inexpensive two-section 7-pound maximum load monopod with an attached quick release tilt head.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/14013177028/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6239b sml.jpg (75.9 KB, 70 views)
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

One good monopod that supports you heaviest gear combination will work for lighter gear. A good carbon fiber monopod with an arca-swiss QR on top and an L bracket on your body and you are set to go. If have or get a lens with a tripod ring, an arca-swiss foot to attach the lens to the monopod is quite handy.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

Quote:
Originally Posted by simv View Post
Please do consider gorillapod too. I'd recommend -
JOBY gorillapod
Model name - Focus.

I recently brought it and m very happy with it.
Why?

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Camera Accessories »

Share this topic: